Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

1984 XV1000 Fuel Gauge (Hi everyone just registered help please) (Australia)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV1000? Post it here!
mrxv1000
What Virago you Own:

1984 XV1000 Fuel Gauge (Hi everyone just registered help please) (Australia)

Post by mrxv1000 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:12 am

hi every one first time poster and registered but been reading for months great site will donate .
I have a xv1000 84 just got it started. after 8 years from a friend which had it and couldn't start it my question I'm going to bobber project it I need help with I've bought three speedometer digital all with fuel gauge now after spending 430$ on these and not able to return them my loss how can i get the reading to work not knowing this bike doesn't have a sender float thing any help will be very very much appreciated please.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: 1984 XV1000 Fuel Gauge (Hi everyone just registered help please) (Australia)

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:41 am

mrxv1000 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:12 am
hi every one first time poster and registered but been reading for months great site will donate .
I have a xv1000 84 just got it started. after 8 years from a friend which had it and couldn't start it my question I'm going to bobber project it I need help with I've bought three speedometer digital all with fuel gauge now after spending 430$ on these and not able to return them my loss how can i get the reading to work not knowing this bike doesn't have a sender float thing any help will be very very much appreciated please.
MrXV1000,

Trying to install a fuel gauge is going to be most difficult. The speedometers fuel gauge has to work off some type of sending unit either by float or a pressure reading device. You haven't stated which your speedometer(s) fuel gauge(s) requires to function or if some other method to measure the fuel is needed. If a float is required . . . getting it into the tear drop shaped tanks we have would be difficult if not impossible.

Here is the method used on a Honda Valkyrie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwRaa-37UP4
Which is a Hydrostatic System:
https://www.lskelectronics.com/fuelgaugeprouni

Will it work on an XV1000 with the two fuel tanks it has (Main Tank 3.8 gal and Sub Tank .6 Gal), I don't know.

I thought as you and wanted a Fuel Gauge at one time. However, gave the notion up. When I realized the work that would come along with it. Especially, since I have a low fuel sensor light already incorporated in my Virago's tachometer and the use of the odometer incorporated in the speedometer. So, when my low fuel light comes on I flip the switch to "RES" and eye ball the odometer to see if it is within the norm and head for a fuel station. If it shows less than normal, I know I've been hot dogging it and burning more fuel. You may want to think about placing those speedometers on ebay and try to recoup some of your $430.

Other fuel measuring methods:

Click Images to Enlarge:
This works basically, due to the tank being flat bottomed.
fuel Gauge.jpg
Fuel Gauge Yo Yo.png
Why Most Motorcycles Don’t Have A Fuel Gauge:
https://agentsofdrive.com/why-most-moto ... uel-gauge/

Just my 2 cents here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)