Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

1981 XV750 yamaha virago starter issues [CLOSED]

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV750? Post it here!
geff
What Virago you Own:

1981 XV750 yamaha virago starter issues [CLOSED]

Post by geff » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:51 pm

Hi there i need to purchase a new starter motor but unable to find the correct starter for my bike the one i have has a large clip on the end, have been told this clip mounts back into a groove and is used as a brake the problem i have is that all the new starter motors do not have this clip can anyone help me please thank you

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: 1981 XV750 yamaha virago starter issues [CLOSED]

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:16 am

geff wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:51 pm
Hi there i need to purchase a new starter motor but unable to find the correct starter for my bike the one i have has a large clip on the end, have been told this clip mounts back into a groove and is used as a brake the problem i have is that all the new starter motors do not have this clip can anyone help me please thank you
Geff,

Parts #1, #3, and #2 are not part of your starter motor. All those parts you see below make up the gearing that starts your bike and are completely separate from the starter motor, however, connect to it.

Idler Gear Assembly 1981 XV750
Click Image(s) to Enlarge:
1981 XV750 Idler Gear Assy.png

It does not come this way:
81-83 xv750 Starter motor.jpg

Comes this way:
81-83 Starter XV750.jpg
Note the location of the Starter Battery Terminal. You may need to lengthen the cable to get it to fit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)