Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Accessories One Can't Live Without

Various Yamaha Virago Chit-Chat

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

MAK
What Virago you Own: 1997 XV1100

Accessories One Can't Live Without

Post by MAK » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:28 pm

I did not see a posting for rider recommended accessories. I thought I would start this.

My 2 accesories that I wholeheartedly recommend are:

1. The Cramp Buster Cruise Control

This for the money is the best purchase I made. It is ingeniusly simple, effective and inexpensive.

CrampBuster.png
CrampBuster

2. A RAM cellphone x-grip holder

This is a bit pricey but if you value your cellphone it is a rock solid secure holder and very easy to install and remove your phone. Again a ingeniusly simple design.

RAM Xgrip.jpg
RAM X-Grip
RAM Xgrip.jpg (7.16 KiB) Viewed 242 times
RAM-Mounts.jpg
RAM X-Grip
RAM-Mounts.jpg (7.28 KiB) Viewed 242 times

What is your favorite accessory or feature on your bike?
MAK
Long time Yamaha rider with a big gap in between riding...
1st Bike - Yamaha XJ650G Maxim 1 1980
Current Bike - Yamaha XV1100 Virago 1997

“Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination.” -Roy M. Goodman

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: Accessories One Can't Live Without

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:04 pm

ON THE ROAD, 2-MUST HAVES:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=373

SWITCH PANEL-MULTIFUNTION D.I.Y. for Handle Bars:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12

MIRROR BLIND SPOT CORRECTION DIY:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19

INSTRUMENT PANEL ARRANGEMENT DIY:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20

KICKSTAND PAD INEXPENSIVE:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:06 pm

ALARM SYSTEM CIRCUIT DIY:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16

TURN SIGNAL AND BRAKE FUNCTION TOGETHER, FOR XV1100:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13

POWER OUTLET:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15
ViragoJoe
;)

MAK

Post by MAK » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:33 pm

Thanks for the list. I may need to have you clarify some of those schematics for me... not very electrically inclined unless it comes to home wiring.

I like the idea about the Turn Signal hack. I had been looking at some of these that were being sold at bike expos. I always thought I would like more rear light on my bike for better visibility to other drivers so that may fit the bill.

I like the flat tire repair kit and have these in all my automobiles. I don't know why I did not think to include one in my bike bag. There are versions made with a T Handle. I recommend this for easier insertion of the tool into the tire.
MAK

“Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination.” -Roy M. Goodman

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:44 pm

MAK wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:33 pm
Thanks for the list. I may need to have you clarify some of those schematics for me... not very electrically inclined unless it comes to home wiring.

I like the idea about the Turn Signal hack. I had been looking at some of these that were being sold at bike expos. I always thought I would like more rear light on my bike for better visibility to other drivers so that may fit the bill.

I like the flat tire repair kit and have these in all my automobiles. I don't know why I did not think to include one in my bike bag. There are versions made with a T Handle. I recommend this for easier insertion of the tool into the tire.
I haven't seen any T handle types that have a closed eyelet. Do you know what I am talking about when I say close eyelet? It is similar to the eye of a needle, no opening.
There is no opening in the eyelet period. You have to press the repair string completely into the tire and then start pulling it back out. Once you get it out a little then you cut off the string near the tire face. Then remove the remnant string that is still in the eyelet. You only need about a two inch piece doubled over to make a one inch plug.
ViragoJoe
;)

MAK

Post by MAK » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:58 pm

Yes I know what you are saying about the open or closed eyelet. I actually have both. I think I prefer the open eyelet better. I find they both work equally well. At times I buy just the tar plugs as I seem to use this tool often and sometimes they are fatter than normal. The open eyelet allows you to place it in the middle of the plug instead of trying to thread it through a closed eyelet.
MAK

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:04 am

I hear you. We all have our preferences when it comes to gear we use. Back in the day, I use to lose plugs inside the tire by it going all the way into the tire. Or they would tear in half when trying to press them in. Probably inferior material back then. I just had better results with the string plugs, but that's me.

I find this process interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzP7O-a7Z4c

However, the unit is a tad pricey. The plugs are silicone covered and you need to be careful when handling them, so you don't want to get them dirty, like dropping it on the ground. Not mentioned in this video. But, they do in other videos.

All plug repairs are suppose to be temporary fixes and should be patched from the inside of the tire. Most of us just keep going until it is tire changing time. I've never had a string plug fail yet.

The string plugs vulcanize with the heat of the tire and become part of the tire from what I have read on the string plugs.

Good thing we have choices to make. Without choices it would be boring.
ViragoJoe
;)