Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

1984 Virago 1000 dies after riding awhile [SOLVED]

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV1000? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Rockyjack
What Virago you Own:

1984 Virago 1000 dies after riding awhile [SOLVED]

Post by Rockyjack » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:19 pm

Hey guys. Just got an 84 virago. Getting back into riding after many years. Bikes a blast. Great around town etc. Here's my problem. Went for a highway ride first time other day. Very hot. 30+ celsius. Rode about 20 miles. Started sputtering like running out of fuel. Losing power and rpm Downshift and pull over. Bike dies. Wait a few minutes. Fire it up. Runs great through all gears. 5 miles later. Same. Did it bunch of times. Last time had to give it throttle for it to start. ?????? New plugs. But they're autolite 63 if that matters.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: 1984 Virago 1000 dies after riding awhile

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:22 am

Rockyjack wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:19 pm
Hey guys. Just got an 84 virago. Getting back into riding after many years. Bikes a blast. Great around town etc. Here's my problem. Went for a highway ride first time other day. Very hot. 30+ celsius. Rode about 20 miles. Started sputtering like running out of fuel. Losing power and rpm Downshift and pull over. Bike dies. Wait a few minutes. Fire it up. Runs great through all gears. 5 miles later. Same. Did it bunch of times. Last time had to give it throttle for it to start. ?????? New plugs. But they're autolite 63 if that matters.
Rocky,
Was this bike store for a long period of time prior to you purchasing it?
If it was. You may have rust in the fuel tank and fuel system. It may be restricting the fuel flow somewhere.

I've heard of others running with autolite 63 plugs w/o problems, but it is always better to stay with Yamaha's recomendation (NGK BP7ES or BPR7ES).
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

Rockyjack
What Virago you Own:

Post by Rockyjack » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:42 pm

I got it in a trade. Don't think it was out since spring. He said carbs could use a cleaning. Should I try seafoam??? And thx

Yogi4
What Virago you Own: '92 Virago XV750D

Post by Yogi4 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:24 pm

Me personally, I'd take the carbs off and see exactly what condition they are in. Rebuild kits are the complete fix. Good to do for several reasons...

You know exactly the condition of the carbs
You'll last longer on the road knowing and having rebuilt carbs
You won't waste money on "might work" methods
And you'll get to know your bike more

I'm glad I got the complete rebuild kits. Having knowing that all the jets and tubes and whatnots is clean and new is a great peace of mind for me. :D
"May the good news be yours!" - Les Nessman

Rockyjack
What Virago you Own:

Post by Rockyjack » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:30 pm

Ok I'll look into it. Pretty busy and not home much. But thanks for the help!! Appreciate it

Rockyjack
What Virago you Own:

Post by Rockyjack » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:44 pm

I used some gumout Topped up gas. Been riding around great for half hour. Took it out 2 miles on hwy rip and back started crapping out again. Bike didn't want to start. Put choke on. Started. Also pops whenever I decelerate

Rockyjack
What Virago you Own:

Post by Rockyjack » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:46 pm

Also. When I would hit the run switch. I heard rapid clicking at I assume fuel pump. Plugged fuel filter?

ajsorvillo1883
What Virago you Own:

Post by ajsorvillo1883 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:21 am

So this has been happening to me lately. I have completely rebuilt the carbs. I believe the charging system is not working correctly. I have a new stator on order. Ive narrowed it down from the fuel lines and plugs. But with the battery draining fast I'm almost certain it's the charging system. It's to the point where if I let it idle for about ten minutes it will run fine for about 30 or so minutes. Then it will bog down and die on me.

Does anyone knows of a fix for the issue? Hopefully Ebay is quick on the shipping so I can get it running smoothly again...

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:37 am

ajsorvillo1883 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:21 am
So this has been happening to me lately. I have completely rebuilt the carbs. I believe the charging system is not working correctly. I have a new stator on order. Ive narrowed it down from the fuel lines and plugs. But with the battery draining fast I'm almost certain it's the charging system. It's to the point where if I let it idle for about ten minutes it will run fine for about 30 or so minutes. Then it will bog down and die on me.

Does anyone knows of a fix for the issue? Hopefully Ebay is quick on the shipping so I can get it running smoothly again...
AJ,

What model Virago and year are we discussing here a 1984 XV1000 as shown in the topic? It makes a difference on where the Regulator / Rectifier is located.

First: Since Virago's are air cooled, may be a good Idea to have a box fan blowing on your engine to keep it cool when letting it idle that long. Virago's are meant to be in the wind. You don't want more problems than just a charging one. Just say'n

I am assuming that you are saying that your bike will run until the battery goes dead and then you need to recharge it again. For you have pulled all the electrical life out of it. Doing this a couple times can and will destroy the battery and it won't hold a charge. These batteries aren't meant to be pulled down that far like deep cycle batteries that go into golf carts etc.. Now with the battery being drained so low, you may now need a new one.

What makes you feel that your Stator is the culprit? Have you tested it?

It could also be your Regulator / Rectifier and way easier to replace than the Stator for you don't have to tear into the engine to replace it. Have you tested it?

What to do:
Charge the battery using a charger with 2 or less Amps nothing higher. Low is the way to go.

Next: take it to an Auto parts store and have it load tested. Most will do it for free.

If it passes, you're golden! If it doesn't pass, a new battery is recommended. Preferably, an AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) battery, maintenance free, with the highest Cold Crank Amps (CCA) rating you can find. 350 CCA is Ideal!

With a Multimeter you can test both Stator and/or Regulator / Rectifier while on the bike to determine which one or possibly both are the culprits of not charging your battery and keeping the bike running.

Bench Testing a Reg/Rec: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2jWIkhy1fo

Testing A Stator and Reg / Rec Part1 and Part2:
Suggestion: don't work on the bike in your Bare Feet. Accident in the making.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srzfWyMlm7c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Ui_FIkR_M
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

ajsorvillo1883
What Virago you Own:

Post by ajsorvillo1883 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:03 pm

My apologies.

Yes it is a 84 xv1000!

I am using an agm type battery that was recommended by a local shop. Right now it's back on the trickle charger, but it's taking a very long time to charge. I did try taking it out for a ride earlier but only managed to get about .2 miles from home before it shut off after charging it fully. I used my emergency charger to jump it back to life and get it home. Definitely not pushing it 2.5 miles again like last night... she's fun but she's heavy.

I will check the regulator and rectifier to make certain that they are also working as intended.

My main problems have been with the fact that these are all the original parts, except for the ones that I've had to replace.

When I swapped out the starter clutch I did notice some heavy wear on the stator connection. But was hoping they'd last a bit longer.

I think the excess heat we've been having in Florida is not helping at all.