Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

How to put on new handle-grips

This is where people can post their opinions on what is recommended to do to your Yamaha Virago and what maybe not to do to it.
Michelle
What Virago you Own: 1988 XV400 Virago

How to put on new handle-grips

Post by Michelle » Sat May 25, 2019 8:09 am

Ok. I'm putting this in the "Do's and Don'ts" section as I think it relates to safety.
I recently changed my old grips in favour of some new more original looking ones. I took my old grips off using a screwdriver to shove in between the grip and the handlebar, and then a shot of WD40. It slipped right off after that :D
Thing is, even though I cleaned the handlebars, my new grip (on the non-throttle side) feels a bit like it could perhaps one day slip off. I really don't want that to happen on a hot day at over 100kph, so my question is this:....

Is there a way when putting on new grips to ensure they can't slip around and will stay on?
I was thinking of using a bit of Lock-Tight smeared on the chrome handlebars perhaps before the grip was slipped on?
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates

Michelle
What Virago you Own: 1988 XV400 Virago

Re: How to put on new handle-grips

Post by Michelle » Sun May 26, 2019 12:58 am

OMG! Amazing tip. If you use WD40 to slip off your old grips then wash carefully with a degreaser before you put them back on or put on new grips.

The proper way (amazing tip). Use hairspray rather than WD40. Hairspray acts as a lubricant when wet and as a glue when it dries. Spray copious amounts into your grip before easily slipping it onto the handlebars. Let dry. Done :D
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue May 28, 2019 6:22 am

Michelle wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:58 am
OMG! Amazing tip. If you use WD40 to slip off your old grips then wash carefully with a degreaser before you put them back on or put on new grips.

The proper way (amazing tip). Use hairspray rather than WD40. Hairspray acts as a lubricant when wet and as a glue when it dries. Spray copious amounts into your grip before easily slipping it onto the handlebars. Let dry. Done :D
Thanks Michelle, good to know!!

Probably holds hair in place, too. :D
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit you profile to include YOUR LOCATION.
It will aid us in ASSISTING YOU! :!: CAPEESH? :?:

nichon16
What Virago you Own: 1998 XV750K

Post by nichon16 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:39 pm

Hi Michelle, thanks for the tip!

I have a question for you as I will shortly be replacing my handlebar.
Did you find the throttle side easy to remove? In my case I would have to remove the grip from the throttle tube, as well as the throttle tube from the handlebar. Any idea if I might have issues with one of those 2?

Amazingly enough I live in Canada and cannot find a throttle tube that fits the Virago hand controls under 100$ it seems... a bit ridiculous. Or maybe someone could tell me if any 7/8 throttle tube should fit, I have no idea about that as I have not opened up the bike yet and don't have it with me at the moment.

Thanks!