Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

reserve fuel activating

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV250? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

geezyrider
What Virago you Own: XV535 1994 Virago

reserve fuel activating

Post by geezyrider » Wed May 23, 2018 8:31 am

The motor started to sputter so I actuated the switch and kept the transmission in gear like I always did with all my other motorcycles. I was only doing 45 Mph at he time and the bike failed to restart. And also failed to battery start. luckily I was only about 2 blocks from a gas station where I pushed the beast in, gassed up, and it started right up. Did I not do something right?
May the wind be at Your Back.
And the Sun be on Your shoulder.
Don't You ever quit that Cruising.
Even when You get much older!

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: reserve fuel activating

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed May 23, 2018 9:00 am

geezyrider wrote:The motor started to sputter so I actuated the switch and kept the transmission in gear like I always did with all my other motorcycles. I was only doing 45 Mph at he time and the bike failed to restart. And also failed to battery start. luckily I was only about 2 blocks from a gas station where I pushed the beast in, gassed up, and it started right up. Did I not do something right?
This article from my pal Dr. Piston (Mac) explains how the fuel systems work on various Virago's:
https://www.viragohelp.com/virago-fuel-systems/

Switch should be in "ON" position for normal riding. "RES" position is to use reserve fuel. If the switch were left in the "RES" position all the time, it would use up every bit of fuel including the Reserved Fuel Allocation. The labelling of that switch is confusing at best.

Click Image to Enlarge:
THROTTLE GRIP SWITCHES.jpg
Hope this helps you out. Or you may have a bad switch, sensor, and/or a wiring issue. That may need looking into.

When I first got my Virago. I thought the "ON" position activated the Reserve Function, WRONG!! Hopefully, that is all it is for you, as well!

Joe
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

Nabzy
What Virago you Own: Xv535

Post by Nabzy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:43 pm

Ok
This is gonna sound daft but where is this reserve on button .never seen one before. :geek: :ugeek:

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:02 pm

Nabzy wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:43 pm
Ok
This is gonna sound daft but where is this reserve on button .never seen one before. :geek: :ugeek:
i replaced the above picture with this one. The other one was to hard to see the Reserve Fuel Switch. The reserve FUEL switch is the very bottom one.
Click Image to Enlarge:
THROTTLE GRIP SWITCHES.jpg
When you are wanting to use the reserve fuel. The switch is switched from ON to RES. .

Read this article:
Virago Fuel Systems: It will explain how the switch works on XV1000 and XV1100's.
https://www.viragohelp.com/virago-fuel-systems/
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)