Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

New From PA

Tell us a little about you, and of course... about your bike!!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

SoloOwners
What Virago you Own:

New From PA

Post by SoloOwners » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:49 am

I'm 63, semi-retired and love to ride. Got two Yammies. A '95 250 Virago and a '03 650 V-star Custom. I'm thinking about selling the 650 and being a one bike guy for a while. All I have to do is get the reconstructed title inspection for the 250. I was rear-ended while stopped at a light by a crazy lady who had taken 3 percodon that morning, was on the phone and had a little yappy shit-zu jumping all over her. Due to good gear and a helmet, I wasn't the least bit hurt after sailing 15 feet into the berm. Not so much my Virago. Since it was a '95, the lady's insurance company (good hands indeed) raked me over the coals. I barely had enough to buy Ebay parts and buy the bike back from salvage. Lawyers and Insurance people. So anyway, I'll be looking for something larger just in case I want to throw someone on the back and be safe and comfy. These Viragos are just not all that roomy for 2-up and riding 2-up on the otherwise peppy 250 is just a bit too much for it. BUT... I'm keeping my 250 Virago and that's that.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: New From PA

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:14 pm

SoloOwners wrote:I'm 63, semi-retired and love to ride. Got two Yammies. A '95 250 Virago and a '03 650 V-star Custom. I'm thinking about selling the 650 and being a one bike guy for a while. All I have to do is get the reconstructed title inspection for the 250. I was rear-ended while stopped at a light by a crazy lady who had taken 3 percodon that morning, was on the phone and had a little yappy shit-zu jumping all over her. Due to good gear and a helmet, I wasn't the least bit hurt after sailing 15 feet into the berm. Not so much my Virago. Since it was a '95, the lady's insurance company (good hands indeed) raked me over the coals. I barely had enough to buy Ebay parts and buy the bike back from salvage. Lawyers and Insurance people. So anyway, I'll be looking for something larger just in case I want to throw someone on the back and be safe and comfy. These Viragos are just not all that roomy for 2-up and riding 2-up on the otherwise peppy 250 is just a bit too much for it. BUT... I'm keeping my 250 Virago and that's that.
Solo,
so how can we help you?

Are you looking to purchase a bigger Virago?

One would have thought that you would have kept the 650 for 2 up riding. Just say'n'.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

SoloOwners
What Virago you Own:

Post by SoloOwners » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:34 pm

ViragoJoe wrote:
SoloOwners wrote:I'm 63, semi-retired and love to ride. Got two Yammies. A '95 250 Virago and a '03 650 V-star Custom. I'm thinking about selling the 650 and being a one bike guy for a while. All I have to do is get the reconstructed title inspection for the 250. I was rear-ended while stopped at a light by a crazy lady who had taken 3 percodon that morning, was on the phone and had a little yappy shit-zu jumping all over her. Due to good gear and a helmet, I wasn't the least bit hurt after sailing 15 feet into the berm. Not so much my Virago. Since it was a '95, the lady's insurance company (good hands indeed) raked me over the coals. I barely had enough to buy Ebay parts and buy the bike back from salvage. Lawyers and Insurance people. So anyway, I'll be looking for something larger just in case I want to throw someone on the back and be safe and comfy. These Viragos are just not all that roomy for 2-up and riding 2-up on the otherwise peppy 250 is just a bit too much for it. BUT... I'm keeping my 250 Virago and that's that.
Solo,
so how can we help you?

Are you looking to purchase a bigger Virago?

One would have thought that you would have kept the 650 for 2 up riding. Just say'n'.
Thanks for asking Joe.
I'm not really in need of help at the moment, but maybe in the future.
I've just got the time and am keeping the Virago, so I'm here to learn I guess.

It would make sense, but I've found the 650 to be a little under powered for 2-up.
Other than Bags, Lights, Sissy Bar & Pad and Windshield, it's like I bought it.
It had already been lowered front and back and is actually too low for my long legs.
it's got Jardine Rumblers and it's been re-jetted. I love 'em below 60mph...
But above 60, they're seriously hazardous to my hearing even with a 3/4 & earplugs.
The constant decibles beat you up if you're on the interstate for any amount of time.

Instead of investing big money to changing everything back out...
And still ending up with what I'm feeling is an under-powered ride for 2-up...
I'd be further ahead to sell it and get something with a bigger engine...
And something with a slightly taller (normal) stance that's slightly quieter.

I should be able to "trade" up for a $1K to $1.5K difference at most.
I'm patient. I bought the 650 with 3K miles on it with a lot extra chrome for $3k even.

Love the Virago. Instead of the 650 V-star, I almost was on the hunt for a 535.
They can be had around here for a song and I believe are lighter and therefore faster.
But I saw the 650 and was in lust. I'm on the Star MC site too. Thanks for the welcome.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:57 pm

If we can help you with anything, please let us know. Glad to have you as a member!

Take a look around, we have information in our Archives you may be interested in.
Also, since you mentioned that you are long legged. Rich one of our members makes great forward controls and heel shifters. See the left side panel "Custom Parts by Rich"

Also here: http://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=13

Joe
ViragoJoe
;)

SoloOwners
What Virago you Own:

Post by SoloOwners » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:48 am

Thanks again Joe.
Here are some pictures of my 250.
Before the windshield and trim...
virago004.jpg
After the windshield and trim...
herladyship.jpg

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:29 pm

SoloOwners wrote:Thanks again Joe.
Here are some pictures of my 250.
Before the windshield and trim...
virago004.jpg
After the windshield and trim...
herladyship.jpg
Very nice looking 250 Virago!!
ViragoJoe
;)

Rob
Administrator
Administrator
What Virago you Own: Unable to ride due to health issues...

Post by Rob » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:13 pm

I missed this post somehow. Thanks for stopping by and telling us about your virago's. I had a xv750 first gen, an 82'. When it was running well it was a beast. Yet it was comfortable. When I twisted that throttle the mustang seat just held me like a glove, and them Jardines just sounded so good. A shame I had to give up on it. I have the frame and title still and at this point would give it away if you needed it. Not sure if that year 650 components and motor would mount up. You would have to do some research on that. I parted it out though but the title is legit and so is the frame. No damage. I have been looking for a replacement for awhile and would like to get a 250 because my back is way worse than it was riding that xv750 and it honestly was almost too much for me then. Issues on funds are keeping me from buying another virago but I hope things start looking up one day. I got lucky on that 750 and got it for $300. Thing was in great shape for sitting in a garage for almost 20 years. Even the tires looked good. No cracks or anything. Just the usual problems when a bike sits with fuel in it. Did a carb rebuild and some other work on it. Anyways.... I'm rambling. Thanks again for stopping in and I look forward to seeing how your situation turns out. Good luck! Peace. 8-)
Rob
If this website was helpful please consider donating to help keep this site here for future Virago owners. :idea: ;) To donate using PayPal click HERE
If you are looking for service manuals for working on a Yamaha Virago we have them available for download HERE

SoloOwners
What Virago you Own:

Post by SoloOwners » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:11 am

Thanks Rob. I got the 250 all rebuilt. I have just put off getting the reconstructed title inspection. It's $300+ and I've had the 650 V-star Custom to ride in the mean time. I don't think the 250 parts would fit on the 750 frame. But I appreciate the thought. The 250 is comfy even with me at 6' 2" and even with the stock foot controls. Great for local riding.

P.S. I've got Jardines on the 650. They sound good and sometimes I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but they're the loudest pipes in town.

Rob
Administrator
Administrator
What Virago you Own: Unable to ride due to health issues...

Post by Rob » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:06 am

Ok. Wasn't sure if you could use it but figured I'd offer :) Them Jardines are very distinguishable, in looks, and sound. It kinda sounds like a Harley V-Twin but better. And no doubt about it, they are quite loud. I think I was waking up half the neighborhood when I was riding mine around 5:30AM every morning. Glad you have a backup bike. (Lucky Bastard!) Oh, for anyone who reads this I will throw in a little info about me. I haven't voted ever in my life and turn 40 this year. No one asked me to vote this time either. Something in me telling me to be a part of the election I guess. I will let everyone stay guessing as to how I voted. Hope the results are good for everyone. Times could be a changin' Peace!
Rob

PS: If you ever need help, on anything, please stop back in and see if we can help. :idea:
I am looking for information on basically any type of bike. The decision was made to add forum areas for the major motorcycle manufactures. My hope is this will help grow the site. If you do have any knowledge please share it. :D
If this website was helpful please consider donating to help keep this site here for future Virago owners. :idea: ;) To donate using PayPal click HERE
If you are looking for service manuals for working on a Yamaha Virago we have them available for download HERE