Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Windshields

Various Yamaha Virago Chit-Chat

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Michelle
What Virago you Own: 1988 XV400 Virago

Windshields

Post by Michelle » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:27 am

A friend of mine in Australia who rides a late model 250cc V-Star is wondering if a windshield would help reduce wind-buffeting. She also has coms in her helmet and they are effected by wind-noise. Would fitting a windshield help? and what are the pros and cons of having a windshield on a cruiser?
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: Windshields

Post by ViragoJoe » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:43 am

Michelle wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:27 am
A friend of mine in Australia who rides a late model 250cc V-Star is wondering if a windshield would help reduce wind-buffeting. She also has coms in her helmet and they are effected by wind-noise. Would fitting a windshield help? and what are the pros and cons of having a windshield on a cruiser?
Yes, a windshield would reduce wind buffeting and should reduce wind-noise on her coms, as well. Is her helmet opened faced? No, face shield? Open faced, usually produces more wind-noise.

Now after that being said, there are issues still. The type of windshield chosen. Fly-shield Windshield, and/or full screen windshield. You can still get buffeting with a windshield. There are methods to resolve the buffeting. Some of which are trial and error to resolve. Below is a link that addresses these issues.

How to solve wind buffeting on your motorcycle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFIaptiWQew

In the below picture, is the windshield that Yamaha designed for the 1996 Virago 1100 Special that I have. This windshield is perfect for the bike. As mentioned in the video above. Windshield height is also a factor. On mine, the top of the windshield is at nose level and you are looking over the windshield. I also, wear a full faced helmet.

A little history. When I purchased the bike, the windshield wasn't attached to the bike. So, it sat in my garage for 2 years all covered up and tucked out of the away. Cruising at lower speeds wasn't an issue, all was good! However, when needing to take expressways here and traveling at speeds of 70+ MPH (113 KPH). Things began to be less than fun! I was getting totally beaten up by the wind. Helmet was bouncing around in the wind. Needless to say that my head was in the helmet. Which ever direction the helmet was tossed my head went with it. At the time, wind noise was the last thing on my list to worry about, but keeping the bike on the road was more of a concern. Trust me, I did not like this feeling one bit, After about 45 minutes to an hour of this pounding. I was exhausted when I got to my destination.

Then the light went on. Hey Joe, why don't you try the windshield? So, dummy me did. WOW! What a difference! I thought I was behind the wheel of my car. I kept reaching for the cup of coffee in the cup holder. Oops, bike didn't have a cup holder or coffee. Now I was able to cruise, I mean cruise (70+ MPH), without being beaten up by the wind and my helmet didn't get tossed around in the wind with my head in it. The Japanese engineers produced the perfect windshield for my bike. It has been on the bike ever since the day I put it on. Aftermarket windshields may be more of guess work to get it right. Luckily, for me, I wasn't saddled with that situation. I just put it on and all was great! Below is the windshield that came with the '96 Virago 1100 Special.

Click Image to Enlarge:
xv1100-virago WINDSHIELD.jpg
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

MAK
What Virago you Own: 1997 XV1100

Post by MAK » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:00 pm

I may have to pick up a windshield! I also hated riding on the highway due to the constant wind buffeting especially from big rigs. I though I needed to buy a heavier bike. If all it takes is a winshield to solve this problem I am extremely grateful. I hated to think I was going to put my bike up for sale.

Now only to decide what size and brand. Are the fly screens, the small windshields, effective as well? I have always been a "free spirit" when it comes to motorcycles and like the clean lines without an added windshield. I also prefer to ride without a helmet but that is another story.

MAK
Long time Yamaha rider with a big gap in between riding...
1st Bike - XJ650G Maxim 1 1980
Current Bike - XV1100 Virago 1997
MAK
1st Bike - Yamaha XJ650G Maxim 1 1980
Current Bike - Yamaha XV1100 Virago 1997

“Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination.” -Roy M. Goodman

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:24 am

MAK wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:00 pm
I may have to pick up a windshield! I also hated riding on the highway due to the constant wind buffeting especially from big rigs. I though I needed to buy a heavier bike. If all it takes is a windshield to solve this problem I am extremely grateful. I hated to think I was going to put my bike up for sale.

Now only to decide what size and brand. Are the fly screens, the small windshields, effective as well? I have always been a "free spirit" when it comes to motorcycles and like the clean lines without an added windshield. I also prefer to ride without a helmet but that is another story.

MAK
1st Bike - XJ650G Maxim 1 1980
Current Bike - XV1100 Virago 1997
Mak,
If you are going for looks over functionality, yup, the fly screen is right up your street. It will do a great job of protecting your belly button from flies. If you can get the exact same windshield that came on the 1996 Virago 1100 Special, I highly recommend it. Notice how far the windshield goes down on the sides of the bike. That eliminates buffeting from the air coming up from that angle. Look at (you tube videos) on windshields and you will see that riders purchase wings that are fork mounted that do the same thing that this windshield has built into it. Also, the windshield is one piece. The air flows right over it with no turbulence that chrome brackets may or may not cause.

" I also prefer to ride without a helmet but that is another story."

If you want to keep telling this story, wear a helmet!

Your skull is way thinner compared to the 8" inches thick of concrete that it may meet one day. Oh yeah, concrete is much harder too!! I was lucky, I only got 3 stitches! Could have been a whole lot worse! Now, I wear a brain bucket. Learn by others foolish mistakes. Although, no broken bones. Yes! Road Rash hurts like HE##!! Concrete can sand through just about anything. It all depends on how far you slide. Speed is a big factor, The faster you go the more distance you cover and more concrete sanding takes place.

Seeing a rider in shorts and shirtless, I just cringe. Ground hamburger just waiting to happen. Saw a guy riding down a gravel road in a bathing suit. Not a pretty sight when he laid the bike down in the gravel.

People make choices. Some choices aren't good ones!
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)