Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

VIRAGO DEFINITION [INFO]

Various Yamaha Virago Chit-Chat

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

VIRAGO DEFINITION [INFO]

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:54 am

In case you didn't know and for those who refer to their Virago's as he.

Well let the truth be known, your virago is actually a girl!
Websters Definition:
“a woman of great stature, strength and courage” or “a loud overbearing woman.”
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

Michelle
What Virago you Own: 1988 XV400 Virago

Re: VIRAGO DEFINITION [INFO]

Post by Michelle » Fri May 10, 2019 3:58 am

In my dictionary it gives a Virago as being:... "a domineering, violent, or bad-tempered woman" or "a woman of masculine strength or spirit; a female warrior". :lol: That's my bike alright.

The Wikipedia gives:..."The word comes from the Latin word virāgō ((genitive virāginis) meaning variously 'a man-like, vigorous, heroic maiden, a female warrior, heroine.. from vir meaning 'man' (cf. virile and virtue) to which the suffix -āgō is added, a suffix that creates a new noun of the third declension with feminine grammatical gender".

And from an early Latin translation of the Hebrew Bible Old Testament, in Genesis 2:23:....

Dixitque Adam hoc nunc os ex ossibus meis et caro de carne mea haec vocabitur virago quoniam de viro sumpta est.
"And Adam said: This now is bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called woman, because she was taken out of man."

The Middle English poem "Cursor Mundi" retains the Latin name for the woman in its otherwise Middle English account of the creation:.....

Quen sco was broght be-for adam, Virago he gaf her to nam; þar for hight sco virago, for maked of the man was sco. (lines 631–34)
"When she was brought before Adam, Virago was the name he gave to her; Therefore she is called Virago, For she was made out of the man."
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates