Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

stiffen front forks

Various Yamaha Virago Chit-Chat

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

jozx7r
What Virago you Own:

stiffen front forks

Post by jozx7r » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:50 am

Hi,
I have cafe racered my xv535, and now have attached a sidecar, as a result I need to stiffen front forks. Anyone any experience on best approach. Read all the cutting springs and fitting spacers forums, but there's so many varied opinions it's confusing. Don't want to go for progressive springs just yet, and not sure how effective they'd be given the unusual application. Can I fit a spacer with existing springs and try that or cut and replace the cut with a spacer??

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: stiffen front forks

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:58 am

jozx7r wrote:Hi,
I have cafe racered my xv535, and now have attached a sidecar, as a result I need to stiffen front forks. Anyone any experience on best approach. Read all the cutting springs and fitting spacers forums, but there's so many varied opinions it's confusing. Don't want to go for progressive springs just yet, and not sure how effective they'd be given the unusual application. Can I fit a spacer with existing springs and try that or cut and replace the cut with a spacer??
The only way you can stiffen the front fork springs is to invest in Progressive Springs. The standard springs provided by Yamaha are to mushy. This is why I had to change mine:

viewtopic.php?t=564
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)