Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

No oil light

Various Yamaha Virago Chit-Chat

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

geezyrider
What Virago you Own: XV535 1994 Virago

No oil light

Post by geezyrider » Sun May 20, 2018 8:47 am

It seemed like the last owner disconnected the low oil pressure light until I looked at the wiring diagram. No such lite or sending unit on my 1994 XV535. Is there a reasonable answer why Yamaha chose not to include it?
May the wind be at Your Back.
And the Sun be on Your shoulder.
Don't You ever quit that Cruising.
Even when You get much older!

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: No oil light

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun May 20, 2018 1:49 pm

geezyrider wrote:It seemed like the last owner disconnected the low oil pressure light until I looked at the wiring diagram. No such lite or sending unit on my 1994 XV535. Is there a reasonable answer why Yamaha chose not to include it?
If there is no oil light, there should not be a wire to disconnect.
Virago oil lights were not for low oil pressure. They are low oil level lights. They have nothing to do with oil pressure. Maybe they thought, if you check the oil level sight glass. Why would one need an Oil Level Light. Why they have them on the bigger Virago's always puzzled me. They always go on when you don't want them to, for example:

1. Going up hill.
2. Sitting on the Side Stand.
3. Under hard acceleration.

The Oil Level Sensor Switch is located at the right front under the engine. As the oil is moved rearward the crazy light flickers or out right comes on. Scaring the bajebbers out of you, thinking you just lost all oil pressure (when, you didn't). I have no idea why they thought placing a Low Oil Level Sensor was a good idea!! Some riders just remove the annoying flickering bulb. If your bike indeed doesn't have this oil level idiot light on it. BE GLAD!!!

Added 5/21/18: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=580

Lucky you No Oil Light.
1994 Virago 535 Instruments:
Click picture to enlarge
1994 Virago 535 Instruments.jpg
Joe
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)