Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Loud Pipes: What Do They Really Do?

Various Yamaha Virago Chit-Chat

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Loud Pipes: What Do They Really Do?

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:25 am

Loud Pipes: What Do They Really Do?:

http://www.jafrum.com/motorcycle-hub/lo ... -112733381

Myself, I really can't say that loud pipes save lives or not, however, I do like the sound of them.

Back in the day when I was a lot younger and rode. Loud pipes were considered excessive noise and got you a hefty ticket and points were applied against your license. It was strictly at the police officers discretion. No decibel meters were used either, back then. It was consider a moving violation that gave you points (although you didn't have to be moving to get a citation). Plus, if you rode anything less than 5 HP, (wait for it) you couldn't ride after dusk! Limiting how far you could ride to get back home by dusk. It wasn't considered worthy to ride at night. Although it was equipped with legal lighting. Again at the officers discretion (what did he consider dusk, it was whatever he said it was) and points again. However, today anything goes. Isn't it ironic how our legislation can change laws at a whim. Usually done, if there are $$$'s involved. Funny that!!
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)