Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

SOLENOID WIRING - WHAT GOES WHERE??? [INFO]

This area is for sharing Maintenance Procedures & Information related to the Yamaha Virago Electrical System.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

SOLENOID WIRING - WHAT GOES WHERE??? [INFO]

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:22 am

Solenoid Wiring - What goes where?

Well, once the Cables have been removed from the back of the Solenoid, of course, if your memory happens to be good like mine, short!! We can't remember who goes where and we have a 50% chance of getting it right. So, we check the wiring schematic below. It provides you with the impression that the Starter Pig Tail goes to the Top Solenoid Terminal. Hmmm, But does it? Now, you've gotten it all back together. Aaaah, the feeling of accomplishment!

Click Image to Enlarge:
SOLENOID PIG TAIL MISREPRESENTATION.png
Now, you head to the battery to place the Negative cable back on to the battery. Watch closely as you do this. Did you see a light parasite spark with the ignition key off as you touched the Negative Terminal with the Ground Cable? If you did, the Solenoid is wired in backwards. If the Negative Cable is left on the battery the Solenoid will begin to get HOT! Disconnect the Cable and switch the cables on the solenoid.

Correct Wiring:

Click Image(s) to Enlarge:
SOLENOID WIRING TO STARTER 2.jpg
SOLENOID WIRING TO STARTER.jpg

Edited: 9/18/19 at 4:30pm to add the following:
SOLENOID WIRING TO STARTER 1.png

Good explanation to understand how Solenoids and Starters work together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rBNtSgfCkk
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

geezyrider
What Virago you Own: XV535 1994 Virago

Re: SOLENOID WIRING - WHAT GOES WHERE??? [INFO]

Post by geezyrider » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:18 am

In a DC circuit a solenoid like a light bulb really doesn't have polarity. Itt'l work either way you hook it up.
May the wind be at Your Back.
And the Sun be on Your shoulder.
Don't You ever quit that Cruising.
Even when You get much older!

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:24 am

geezyrider wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:18 am
In a DC circuit a solenoid like a light bulb really doesn't have polarity. Itt'l work either way you hook it up.
Hal my friend,
I hear you! Trust me, It makes a difference on these Solenoids. If wired backwards and you press the Start Button you get NADA and the Solenoid will begin getting HOT.

Switch the cables to the way I said, and all will be good again and the Solenoid will snap back to engage the Idler Gear Assembly (Bendix) into the Flywheel and the Starter will start to crank the engine. It makes a difference which Solenoid terminal receives the Positive battery connection.
ViragoJoe
;)

geezyrider
What Virago you Own: XV535 1994 Virago

Post by geezyrider » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:26 pm

My XV 535 diagram shows a start relay and not a solenoid. And a solenoid by itself does not require proper polarity. So there has to be something like a diode within the circuitry.
May the wind be at Your Back.
And the Sun be on Your shoulder.
Don't You ever quit that Cruising.
Even when You get much older!

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:36 pm

geezyrider wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:26 pm
My XV 535 diagram shows a start relay and not a solenoid. And a solenoid by itself does not require proper polarity. So there has to be something like a diode within the circuitry.
There could very well be a diode in the circuitry, not sure, but I don't think there is. I made some modifications to the above information.

Take another look see and then peruse the Video about: Good explanation to understand how Solenoids and Starters work together. A little long, however, this car starter system is similar to the Larger Virago Configuration. It has to be wired exactly the same way. "S" wire, "B" Terminal, and "M" Terminal (pin).

Good information to know, non the less.
ViragoJoe
;)