DIY Tachometer repair. 96 XV750 (NE Arkansas USA) [INFO.]

This area is for sharing Maintenance Procedures & Information related to the Yamaha Virago Electrical System.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

schigara
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago XV750

DIY Tachometer repair. 96 XV750 (NE Arkansas USA) [INFO.]

Post by schigara » Fri May 06, 2022 5:52 pm

I have read a lot on various forums and youtube vids of people replacing dead tachometers(electronic not cable driven) with good working oem units or retrofitting with new aftermarket tachs so I thought I would share what I did to repair my tachometer.

After many years, a solder joint can crack, especially with the non-lead solder that has been used for the last few decades. Many times, all is needed is to either reflow the solder joints or remove the old solder and resolder with a good 60/40 tin lead solder on the pcb(printed circuit board) on the back of the tachometer. The hard part is getting inside to access the tach since the chrome bezel is crimped in place. I just used an air die grinder with a cutoff wheel to cut the plastic housing about 3/4 in below the chrome bezel. A Dremel with a cutting wheel would work as well. Once the tach unit is removed from the housing, just resolder the pcb and put back together. Most likely the 3 wires that attach to the pcb were all that needed resoldering but I went ahead and resoldered every solder joint on the pcb. My tach went from dead to fully functional.

I am going to use clear rtv in the 1/8th in. gap in the plastic housing left by the cutoff wheel to re seal the housing and then apply a 1 inch strip of fiberglass mat and resin around it to give it its strength back.

I hope someone finds this useful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lunawoodworking
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago 750

Re: DIY Tachometer repair. 96 XV750 (NE Arkansas USA) [INFO.]

Post by lunawoodworking » Sat May 07, 2022 12:11 pm

While you were in there did you happen to notice how difficult it would be to change the face plate? My 96 XV750 apparently had spent the bulk of life as a commuter bike, so it was parked outside quite a bit and the gauge faces are a little faded (more so the tach, what is left of the red marks are more of a light faded orange). I was hoping that I would be able to find replacement faces, I see they are offered for other motorcycles, mostly Harley (of course), and the Honda CB series I was able to find, but no virago.

I have a friend who is a graphic artist and has all the good printers, I was going to speak to her about perhaps scanning in the old face plate, touching up the colors on paint shop and then printing on clear acetate. However, something tells me it won't be that simple.

schigara
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago XV750

Re: DIY Tachometer repair. 96 XV750 (NE Arkansas USA) [INFO.]

Post by schigara » Sat May 07, 2022 5:02 pm

It looked quite easy assuming the needle pops off without hassle. Just two screws holding the faceplate after the needle comes off.

lunawoodworking wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 12:11 pm
While you were in there did you happen to notice how difficult it would be to change the face plate? My 96 XV750 apparently had spent the bulk of life as a commuter bike, so it was parked outside quite a bit and the gauge faces are a little faded (more so the tach, what is left of the red marks are more of a light faded orange). I was hoping that I would be able to find replacement faces, I see they are offered for other motorcycles, mostly Harley (of course), and the Honda CB series I was able to find, but no virago.

I have a friend who is a graphic artist and has all the good printers, I was going to speak to her about perhaps scanning in the old face plate, touching up the colors on paint shop and then printing on clear acetate. However, something tells me it won't be that simple.