Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

TCI/CDI Igniter Box Rebuild 1982 XV750 Virago Gen 1

The area for the Yamaha Virago DIY enthusiast.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

zalex
What Virago you Own:

Re: TCI/CDI Igniter Box Rebuild 1982 XV750 Virago Gen 1

Post by zalex » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:38 pm

I have received all parts from Mouser. They didnt have one of the capacitors in stock until June, so I had to order one through Radio Shack. I have it off the bike now, and am starting to get into it. Should have all replaced within a week. I will update if it fixes my hesitation problems and one cylinder firing and backfiring....THANKS!!!

zalex
What Virago you Own:

Post by zalex » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:53 pm

Rob, did you by chance ever post "Part 2"?

Rob
Administrator
Administrator
What Virago you Own: Unable to ride due to health issues...

Post by Rob » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:32 pm

no i lost that data but I just used a regular soldering iron, tweezers, and solder sucker to remove and replace everything. Don't bother trying to remove all gunk from board. I tried and tired but only got so much off it. I just removed gunk right where the parts I needed removed was. All the soldering is done from the other side which just has a slight layer over it. Sorry I didn't get the rest put up but I ended giving up on that 750 right not long after that.It is only 100 bucks or so to send your box off to get it fixed. There is a place in Florida that specializes in fixing those. If you need let me know and I will get you the information.Good luck!
If this website was helpful please consider donating to help keep this site here for future Virago owners. :idea: ;) To donate using PayPal click HERE
If you are looking for service manuals for working on a Yamaha Virago we have them available for download HERE

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Post by ViragoJoe » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Rob wrote:no i lost that data but I just used a regular soldering iron, tweezers, and solder sucker to remove and replace everything. Don't bother trying to remove all gunk from board. I tried and tired but only got so much off it. I just removed gunk right where the parts I needed removed was. All the soldering is done from the other side which just has a slight layer over it. Sorry I didn't get the rest put up but I ended giving up on that 750 right not long after that.It is only 100 bucks or so to send your box off to get it fixed. There is a place in Florida that specializes in fixing those. If you need let me know and I will get you the information.Good luck!
Zalex,
There is another good restorer in Illinois that does good work. Don't know where you are located. David Denowh may be closer to you:
http://viragotcirepair.com/
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

zalex
What Virago you Own:

Post by zalex » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:04 pm

Thanks guys. Have all capacitors replaced except one. It just came in mail today so I'll have it done next week. I hope it fixes my issue. A lady at work is doing all the soldering for me. She's a pro. I'll have it back on bike shortly after and reply. Rob, why did you end up giving up?

Rob
Administrator
Administrator
What Virago you Own: Unable to ride due to health issues...

Post by Rob » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:33 pm

Money issues and I never did get it running just right. Did a ton of work to that one. Ended breaking it up and parting it out. Was quite the bummer...
If this website was helpful please consider donating to help keep this site here for future Virago owners. :idea: ;) To donate using PayPal click HERE
If you are looking for service manuals for working on a Yamaha Virago we have them available for download HERE

meshtheartguy
What Virago you Own: XV 750 SE, Special 1981-83

Post by meshtheartguy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:29 am

Hi, thank you for starting this important CDI box unit topic.
I own a XV 750 SE, Special 1981-83 model, i did have the similar experience in past about one of engine is not firing at all, sure its problem with CDI or the ignition coil. However to replace the CDI unit with new is out of question, its not available anywhere. But again will it be possible to rebuild such a complex component as you are going to? And where to find a blue print of it so one can get the right electronic gadgets to build one?
Please let me know the outcome and your advice. Best of luck.
Regards

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:34 am

meshtheartguy wrote:Hi, thank you for starting this important CDI box unit topic.
I own a XV 750 SE, Special 1981-83 model, i did have the similar experience in past about one of engine is not firing at all, sure its problem with CDI or the ignition coil. However to replace the CDI unit with new is out of question, its not available anywhere. But again will it be possible to rebuild such a complex component as you are going to? And where to find a blue print of it so one can get the right electronic gadgets to build one?
Regards
There is no real Blue Print that I am aware of. We do have a repair person if you want to send it out for repair:
ViragoJoe
;)

meshtheartguy
What Virago you Own: XV 750 SE, Special 1981-83

Post by meshtheartguy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:01 am

ViragoJoe wrote:
meshtheartguy wrote:Hi, thank you for starting this important CDI box unit topic.
Regards
There is no real Blue Print that I am aware of. We do have a repair person if you want to send it out for repair:

Thanks that will do... :)

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:53 am

meshtheartguy wrote:
ViragoJoe wrote:
Regards

Thanks that will do... :)
This may help you understand how the ignition system works and how to test:
https://www.viragohelp.com/virago-ignition-systems/
ViragoJoe
;)