Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

INSTRUMENT PANEL ARRANGEMENT DIY

The area for the Yamaha Virago DIY enthusiast.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu May 21, 2015 4:20 pm

Just an idea how to arrange your instrument panel. How you do yours is strictly up to you.
My Instrument Cluster 338.jpg
My Instrument Cluster 338.jpg (26.6 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

Rob
Administrator
Administrator
What Virago you Own: Unable to ride due to health issues...

Re: INSTRUMENT PANEL ARRANGEMENT DIY

Post by Rob » Fri May 22, 2015 2:21 pm

Damn Joe, that is way more tech than I thought you would have on your bike. Nice job. Surprised you haven’t tried to integrate digital gauges. That would top it off. Maybe a Pair of them digital readout LED gauges. I might one day do a mod like that to my bike. Ordered my Caps from Mouser electronics. I emailed them to see if they could cross reference the transistors but no luck. They couldn’t find any information about them. Can't believe none of the guys who do the rebuilds will tell me what I need to use for a replacement transistor. I personally emailed the only 2 guys I know of that rebuild them. No reply....
If this website was helpful please consider donating to help keep this site here for future Virago owners. :idea: ;) To donate using PayPal click HERE
If you are looking for service manuals for working on a Yamaha Virago we have them available for download HERE

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: INSTRUMENT PANEL ARRANGEMENT DIY

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun May 24, 2015 9:55 am

I'm really not fond of digital gauges, I prefer analog. Guess I'm old school.

Usually transistors don't fail like capacitors do. I think the reason that the folks that repair TCI's can't repair these for they can't locate the transistors either, if it turns out they indeed did fail. Repairers could just change the capacitors, and hope that all could be good again, however, if indeed the transistor(s) belly up. How do they tell the customer they can't fix it. So, they would rather not take them in at all, due to part availability.

In your case, I am hoping it is just the capacitors and weak solder joints. Sounds like these transistors may have gone by way of the dinosaur. Unless, they could be found in old electronic devices. Then, we are getting into the needle and the hay stack scenario. :? :cry:
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)