1982 XV750 TCI Igniter Box Rebuild (Charlotte, NC)

The area for the Yamaha Virago DIY enthusiast.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1982 XV750 TCI Igniter Box Rebuild (Charlotte, NC)

Post by ViragoJoe » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:14 pm

Mace_Hacker wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:26 pm
No rush. Just let me know when you and if you can find them.
Mace,

Reg. / Rec.'s
I got your email and boxed them up a couple weeks back and sent back an email reply to you.

Email me with your address and I'll ship you 4 that you can play with.

Thanks again my friend.

Hope you and family are well! Haven't heard from you in a while, so Let me know how you are.

Joe
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

Mace_Hacker
What Virago you Own: 1982 Virago XV750
1992 Virago 1100

Post by Mace_Hacker » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:13 pm

Hey!
Sorry I have been out of touch for so long.
I will pm you mailing/contact info!
All good here. Working and no time for much else.
I have 2 bikes waiting on me to get them on the road but have no time to fix them…..maybe by spring.
Hope everyone else is doing well.
Cheers!
Mace
Don't worry; It's supposed to sound like that.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:15 am

Mace_Hacker wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:13 pm
Hey!
Sorry I have been out of touch for so long.
I will pm you mailing/contact info!
All good here. Working and no time for much else.
I have 2 bikes waiting on me to get them on the road but have no time to fix them…..maybe by spring.
Hope everyone else is doing well.
Cheers!
Mace
Hi Mace,
Sent you an email this morning.

Not sure, if you will receive that email. Known fact, according to the internet, the email client for gmail is having major issues with emails not going out or not being received for those using gmail.

So, please respond back to let me know that you received that email via here and/or your gmail account.

Hopefully, you aren't one affected by the gmail system glitch. Temporarily, you could setup another email account with another provider until they (gmail) resolves the issues.

Cheer's
Joe
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

Mace_Hacker
1992 Virago 1100

Post by Mace_Hacker » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:14 pm

All good. Got your email and replied,

Mace_Hacker
1992 Virago 1100

Post by Mace_Hacker » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:06 am

audiopro2001 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:28 pm
Hey guys,
As I'm paging through this thread a common question keeps popping up, TCI or CDI.
I want to be clear here and having reverse engineered a gen 1 TCI complete to do this i did an immense amount of research on Yamaha's use of electronically controlled ignition systems.
From the TR1 1 in 1980 and 1981 to the very last year that the Virago line was in production Yamaha used ONLY TCI'S transistor controlled ignition systems. They NEVER used CDI technology in a VIRAGO or for that matter almost ALL Yamaha built bikes until just in the past 15 or so years have had either a mechanical points system or used TCI technology.
There are no Virago's that ever came stock from factory with anything but a TCI ignition system. If you look through the factory service manuals you will find that the impedance of Virago coils has been roughly between 2.5 ohms and 4.2 ohms throughout all the years of production. This impedance is a wonderfully suited coil impedance to be driven by the darlington transistors that were the electronic component that was responsible for managing the 12 volt portion of our coils.
Darlington transistors are in fact a type of transistor and have been used for many years in almost every style of automotive electronic ignition system. In recent years MOSFETS another type of transistor have been deployed in more modern design electronic ignition systems but these are still at heart TCI ignition control systems.
The popularity of CDI ignitions comes mostly from the small engine sector, lawn mowers, chainsaws and such. Some motorcycle manufacturers use CDI systems but you usually find them in the smaller bikes. I have noticed also and i dont really know why but CDI seems to be a popular system for watercraft.
I digress NO YAMAHA VIRAGO ever came from the factory with a CDI system ever.....
audiopro2001,
You are correct. We came to the same conclusion. Sorry so long to reply to your post but, I have been very busy of late. I’m interested to know how far you got in reverse engineering the tci. I had similar idea to make a new pcb and parts list so we could have a schematic and complete parts list for them eventually……..I haven’t had any time lately to work on this but maybe over the winter I’ll get a few days here and there.
Cheers,
Mace

nanno
What Virago you Own: Yamaha TR1 and Yamaha TR1-Turbo, also most of a XV750SE

Post by nanno » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:49 pm

Btw.: as I am the same Nanno that suggested some of the components... glad to see it worked for somebody else but me to fix one of these boxes (with my rough guidelines). My very first repaired box (in my TR1) has been running for over a year now and (related to various lockdowns in my home country) approximately for about 5000-8000mls.

Looking at the later boxes,if one of those Mitsubishi ICs kicks the proverbial bucket, you're much more screwed as they seem to be a component which is installed in A LOT of TCIs, but only available to OEMs. (Not even the dodgiest of electronics sourcing companies could sell me any of those.) That being said, e.g. the Intruder 1400 runs an almost identical ignition box as the old Virago 1100 and probably only differs in the pin-out of the connectors.

Cheers,
Greg

(Only found this forum again, due to VTF being down... again...)
Real freedom starts with the freedom of thought.

Mace_Hacker
1992 Virago 1100

One year and 13,000 miles later!.....(Update)

Post by Mace_Hacker » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:07 am

Nanno!!!!
Thank you again for all your help on my rebuild. After I rebuilt my TCI I sold my bike.
The guy I sold it to has put over 13,000 miles on it since then!
I would say that is proof positive that it can be done safely and effectively. Personally, I would offer this service, (for a fee of course), to anyone that needed it.
That said, everyone can rest a little better at night now knowing that we can extend the life of these parts a little longer and, keep our bikes on the road.
Take care all,
Mace

chrisnd

Re: UPDATE for: 1982 XV750 TCI Igniter Box Rebuild (Charlotte, NC)

Post by chrisnd » Sun May 08, 2022 7:56 am

Mace_Hacker wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:11 pm
Ok, so far:
I took the TCI appart and cleaned it.
I ordered my parts and waited.
I got my parts and started replacing them.
Now I am done.
All capacitors - Replaced.
4 - wire wound resistors - Replaced
2 - primary transistors - Replaced

PS: I will be posting a video link later showing some of the work as I did it.
Thanks for letting us know it worked - but which transistors did you use in the end?
BU941ZTs - I think I can just about read on the image?

Did you post the video in the end?

Cheers, Chris