1996 XV750 Brake Light Modulators (New Jersey)

The area for the Yamaha Virago DIY enthusiast.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

lunawoodworking
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago 750

1996 XV750 Brake Light Modulators (New Jersey)

Post by lunawoodworking » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:13 pm

The other day I noticed a fellows brake light flash a few times then stay steady - after a the second traffic light I realized he was not pumping the brake, however, instead he had a brake modulator. The key take away is that I NOTICED this, and to me that means other people will as well, and safety is good.

Has anyone added one of these devices to their Virago , and are there any recommendations of brands to either look for or avoid? I know there are many dubious 'budget friendly' options out there - I would rather spend an extra buck and get something reliable rather than throwing my money away multiple times on garbage.

Thanks...

Eric

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Re: 1996 XV750 Brake Light Modulators (New Jersey)

Post by jsyzdek » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:42 pm

I have LED bulbs in the rear brake/parking combo light, and those bulbs do the blinking action on their own, without any extra hardware. I didn't need to modify anything: they use the same 1157 bayonet socket style.
I think they are these:

I haven't had any issues with them. They are bright and they have good contrast between parking light and the brake light function. On some bulbs the contrast is really low and it's hard to tell if you're braking or not. These are fine. Plus the few flashes: that grabs people's attention.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

lunawoodworking
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago 750

Post by lunawoodworking » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:35 am

Thank you - I will check these out.

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Post by jsyzdek » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:42 am

No problem.

BTW: I run these in the front parking/turn signal lights:

Similar, but amber color, and they don't flash. They are brighter than the standard 27/8W bulbs and they draw a lot less current. If you replace the rear red ones and the front orange ones, the "static" draw (when you turn the key on, or want to leave the parking lights on for a while with the key turned all the way left and removed), will drop from 32 to ~4W, which means dropping by just over 2A. This is enough to run heated grips without overloading the electrical system.

What I don't recommend is replacing the rear turn signals with LEDs. Replacing the front ones decreases the circuit impedance a bit and so the turn signals flash a little faster, but nothing crazy. Once you replace the front AND the rear, they will hyper-flash. No bueno. Given that the rear orange lights are purely turn signals and only work when the turn signal is on, I decided to replace the front, double-function lights.
Keep Calm and Ride On!