1982 XV750 TCI Igniter Box Rebuild (Charlotte, NC)

The area for the Yamaha Virago DIY enthusiast.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Mace_Hacker
What Virago you Own: 1982 Virago XV750
1992 Virago 1100

Re: 1982 XV750 TCI Igniter Box Rebuild (Charlotte, NC)

Post by Mace_Hacker » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:01 am

Update:(3-22-2021)
I ordered all new capacitors, mostly from Mouser, and I am still waiting on them to arrive. I did order 2 capacitors on Amazon, twice; because I did not like the way they looked. Too small, in my opinion. (see picture)
Lacking a better alternative I will probably use the first and last ones shown in the picture.
When the rest of my parts show up I will swap them out, test, and update post again.
Cheers!
Mace

Edit:
I just ordered 2 different capacitors from Newark to compare to the ones I got from Amazon.
We will see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't worry; It's supposed to sound like that.

Mace_Hacker
1992 Virago 1100

UPDATE for: 1982 XV750 TCI Igniter Box Rebuild (Charlotte, NC)

Post by Mace_Hacker » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:11 pm

Ok, so far:
I took the TCI appart and cleaned it.
I ordered my parts and waited.
I got my parts and started replacing them.
Now I am done.
All capacitors - Replaced.
4 - wire wound resistors - Replaced
2 - primary transistors - Replaced

I only need to add some schmoo,( for vibration damping), then close it up and see if it works.
Fingers crossed!

PS: I will be posting a video link later showing some of the work as I did it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: UPDATE for: 1982 XV750 TCI Igniter Box Rebuild (Charlotte, NC)

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:17 pm

Mace_Hacker wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:11 pm
Ok, so far:
I took the TCI appart and cleaned it.
I ordered my parts and waited.
I got my parts and started replacing them.
Now I am done.
All capacitors - Replaced.
4 - wire wound resistors - Replaced
2 - primary transistors - Replaced

I only need to add some schmoo,( for vibration damping), then close it up and see if it works.
Fingers crossed!

PS: I will be posting a video link later showing some of the work as I did it.

Mace my friend,

Nice Job! That TCI looks absolutely perfect!!
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location.
It will aid us in assisting you!

Mace_Hacker
1992 Virago 1100

Re: 1982 XV750 TCI Igniter Box Rebuild (Charlotte, NC)

Post by Mace_Hacker » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:39 am

Thanks Joe, but......far from perfect!
NOTES:
1 - I did not order the correct parts...sort of. The lead spacing on several of the ceramic capacitors was too wide and did not allow them to seat close enough to the board. ( I made them work/ish)
2 - By not having the right spacing on the leads, the parts were too high; not allowing enough clearance when you fold the thing back together. I had to bend parts weird ways as best I could. Not ideal but I did manage to get it done.
3 - The "Schmoo" I used GE Aadvanced silicone II , clear, as the vibration damping around all the capacitors. Research showed it is not supposed to be harmful to components. We will see.
Maybe. Because......
4 - I sold the bike. Technically I am selling the bike today but, eh. It's going away.

I got the TCI repaired and reassembled. I stuck it on the bike. It runs. So I the guy that was interested in the bike is happy and that's the best I can do.
Moving forward----I have a spare TCI that I bought on EBAY and I will be taking it apart soon.
The plan for it is to use it to make a "new" PCB and eventually...hopefully...a schematic for it.
at the very least....I will remove and test each component so as to verify its value; then we will have a complete list and location/placement of components on the boards.
This will be an ongoing project. Wish me luck.

Summary:
I 'think' I fixed my TCI which I 'think' was broken.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Cheers!
Mace

Mace_Hacker
1992 Virago 1100

UPDATE

Post by Mace_Hacker » Thu May 20, 2021 3:43 pm

UPDATE:
I sold my bike after I rebuilt the TCI.
The new owner has put over 2500 miles on it so far. The only issue he's had was, as per him, the plugs I had installed were firing on the 'sides'. So, he changed the plugs and no problems after that. He sent me a cold start video one morning and it fired right up and idled nicely.
I will continue to monitor the TCI performance on the bike and l wil let you know if any problems arise but, for now I think that the parts I replaced are working fine and that the TCI will last another 40 years.....hopefully.

Cheers,
Mace

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: UPDATE

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri May 21, 2021 7:32 am

Mace_Hacker wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 3:43 pm
UPDATE:
I sold my bike after I rebuilt the TCI.
The new owner has put over 2500 miles on it so far. The only issue he's had was, as per him, the plugs I had installed were firing on the 'sides'. So, he changed the plugs and no problems after that. He sent me a cold start video one morning and it fired right up and idled nicely.
I will continue to monitor the TCI performance on the bike and l wil let you know if any problems arise but, for now I think that the parts I replaced are working fine and that the TCI will last another 40 years.....hopefully.

Cheers,
Mace
Mace,
Good news. Thank you for the update.

Would you think about improving upon the Regulator Rectifiers especially on the 2nd generation Virago's that have the Regulator Rectifier under the left passenger foot peg bracket. The Chinese knockoffs are crap. Their inferior components can't take the heat they generate and the Diodes fry. I went through 3 of them and then finally bit the bullet and got one from Japan. I've read that Acetone melts the resin to get to the components. Don't know if that is fact or fiction.

One thing for sure is the $18.00 dollar knockoffs from China are crap. The transistor also spikes the voltage instead of holding the current steady at 14.5 to 15 output volts, voltages climb past that most of the time. Temperature well exceeding 140°F at the R/R. On 80+ degree days, don't sit at a traffic light and blip the throttle or rev your engine. You are creating unnecessary voltage that needs to be shunted to ground and raises the R/R temperature. I carry a non-touch thermometer in my pocket to take its temperature now and then while on the road. The Japanese R/R remains much cooler than the previous 3 Chinese knockoffs. Keep your bike in the wind whenever possible or devise some type of a cooling fan to dissipate that heat. Still trying to figure out how to do that at the rear passenger foot peg bracket. Final drive drive shaft tube gets in the way of mounting a fan. It still amazes me that mostly all Motorcycle manufacturers keep placing the R/R near heat sources on the bikes. That rear foot peg bracket is right next to the exhaust systems plenum (Mixing Bowl) chamber for the exhaust. Go figure.

Exposure Time To Receive A Severe Burn
Click Image to Enlarge:
EXPOSURE TIME TO RECEIVE A SEVERE BURN.png
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location.
It will aid us in assisting you!