Things look bleak. If anyone can donate please do. Thanks everyone. Im trying to scrape up funds..... only month to go.
Rob

1981 XV750 to an XV1100 (Project 7/11) (Canada)

The area for the Yamaha Virago DIY enthusiast.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

macmcmacmac
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:36 pm
Location: canada
What Virago you Own:

Re: 1981 XV750 to an XV1100 (Project 7/11) (Canada)

Post by macmcmacmac » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:49 pm

Mooooving right along...

I managed to figure out what was missing from the ignitor, and installed the red/black wire in the uppermost right port of the 8 pin connecotor. Then I clamped the other end of the wire to the +ve battery terminal and was rewarded with a lumpy one cylinder idle after cranking. Success! I found the red/white wire in the original 750 ignitor plug under the tank and fed the 1000 ignitor red/black wire from the oem 750 red/white wire, so the bike will now start correctly. I noticed a bit of abnormal noise from the dead front cylinder and figured, damn, I bought a lemon, but it sounds like there is some light gnashing of gear teeth coming from the starter or solenoid, like the starter mechanism has not fully retracted somehow. Is this an issue, and how would I go about solving it? Just fully lube up all the lever and pins inside the case, or is it something more involved?

macmcmacmac
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:36 pm
Location: canada
What Virago you Own:

Re: 1981 XV750 to an XV1100 (Project 7/11) (Canada)

Post by macmcmacmac » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:56 pm

Not much to look at yet. The 1100 front end went on no problem. The All Balls kit worked, but the bearings are so much shorter I thought I was going to bind the lower triple against the neck, so I tightened the stem nut up until the forks went stiff and I could still get a .0015" feeler gauge between the lower triple and the base of the steering neck. Damn close! I don't know why the picture is rotating sideways (But see note above the picture). I have a mag on the way, I will have a set of 1999 tubeless rims with nowhere to use them once I'm done. Lots of poorly applied black paint to get rid of yet. I got rid of the 1100 bar clamps and went to the lower 750 clamps. I have to figure out new throttle cable lengths most likely.

Click Image to get correct orientation of the picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Reply