Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Slip-On Exhausts

This area is for sharing Maintenance Procedures & Information related to the Yamaha Virago Engine.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Michelle
What Virago you Own: 1988 XV400 Virago

Slip-On Exhausts

Post by Michelle » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:12 am

I will soon be needing to change out my two exhaust pipes on my XV 400 as though my bike runs ok, the previous owner has had her down upon her side several times and there are huge ugly scrape marks right along both exhausts. I don't know much about exhausts for bikes but I have discovered that her pipes are the "slip-on" type meaning I don't need to replace the whole things, just the end bits (I've drawn up a quick picture of what I mean)
Virago Schem.png
The measurements show that two mounting bolts have been welded to these pipes so they can bolted to the usual muffler supports on the bike. On one muffler there is a small plate riveted on with the letters "JMCA" and then a serial number "00245098" also stamped into it. Apart from the two (non standard) welded bolts, there seems to be no other mounting bolts or brackets that would give me a clue as to what bike these pipes are actually from. They just seem like fairly generic pipes to me.
So to my question......
I've looked on eBay and there are so many different types. I'm not sure what I am looking at or what slip-on mufflers would be suitable for an XV400 Virago. So any help or advice would be amazing.
The current slip-ons are the "slash-cut" type and I'd like to stay with that style.
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: Slip-On Exhausts

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:27 am

This is what I've found on JMCA 00245098:

https://www.google.com/search?hs=5Hl&ch ... 53&bih=779
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

Michelle
What Virago you Own: 1988 XV400 Virago

Re: Slip-On Exhausts

Post by Michelle » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:38 am

Ok. That gives them as being Daytona Drag Slip-on mufflers. The mounts look exactly like the ones on my bike, so I guess I now know what to look for. Thanks Joe :D
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates