Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Happy New Years!!

Not sure what to spend government check on??
Donate to ViragoHelp!!!

1993 XV535, Found Oil Leak, Need Help Diagnosing (SOLVED)

This area is for sharing Maintenance Procedures & Information related to the Yamaha Virago Engine.
neatocary7
What Virago you Own:

1993 XV535, Found Oil Leak, Need Help Diagnosing (SOLVED)

Post by neatocary7 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:36 pm

Fist of all, thank you for having me and I'm happy to see there's such great help out there!

I bought my first virago (second time bike owner) a few days ago and everything seems to be in great shape and sound, except for this fairly substantial leak I found after riding it a couple times. After some tinkering around I found,

1. After wiping the engine clean, the leak will not drip cold, but will drip after a couple mins of riding around the block.

2. After Viragojoes cleaning down/powder spray technique, I did find where the leak was coming from. There seemed to be 2 places, one being very minimal "lesser", the other being the "main" leak. Both being on the crankcase (pictures included).

3. The lesser leak is coming from where the case and right side case cover look to come together, right behind the top/ most rearward bolt securing the case. On the right side of the bike if you are sitting on it. Once again, after powdering the engine, I took a couple test rides and saw it did not drip down anywhere, only collected a little. See Pic 1, then Pic 2 (I hope you can tell which pictures. I named them when uploading.)
Click Images to Enlarge and get correct orientation:
Pic 1.JPG
Pic 2.JPG
4. The main leak IS coming from the seam where the case and right side cover come together, right behind the lowermost/ most rearward bolt on the same side (right) of the bike as the "lesser" leak. This one will leak down and cover a fair amount of the bottom of the engine, and drip only a few times since it doesn't continue to leak without oil pressure. See Pic 3, then Pic 4
Pic 3.JPG
Pic 4.JPG
5. The funny thing is these two did not come in to contact with each other. Meaning the higher "lesser" leak does not run down into or come in contact with the lower "main" leak.

6. Please help me understand why these leaks are happening and what I could do. I did try to get to the two bolts to make sure they were tight. The top bolt (lesser leak) tightened very little with my impact wrench and didnt make a difference after tightening. The lower bolt (main leak) is at too awkward an angle to get to, and my home tools will not get into the places needed to remove the parts necessary to tighten the bolt.

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1993 XV535, Found Oil Leak, Need Help Diagnosing (SOLVED)

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed May 13, 2020 2:30 am

neatocary7,

The diagnosing you've done. You've found where the leaks are. Now, to fix.

Your pictures are very clear. Even with your good description it doesn't help for we can't see where the leaks are. To clean. You should have left the power spray on, so we could see the leaks. Or used something to point to where you are indicating the leaks are. Opening the pictures in a drawing program and adding arrows and re-saving will work also.

Suggestion advice, never, repeat, never use an IMPACT WRENCH to tighten any bolts. Bolts/screws are made of steel. There is a lot of Aluminum on the bike especially the Engine. If you strip any threads in the engine case you'll never stop any leaks when just a new gasket would have fixed the leak issue. Engine side cover screws are very low FEET POUNDS. Most of us say foot pounds. Like 7 or 84 inch pounds when using an inch pounds torque wrench. Inch pound torque wrenches are better to use for low torquing because foot pound wrenches set to low values, like 7, aren't very accurate.

Before tightening any bolts/screws make sure you consult your repair manual for its torque valve, or you will suffer a lot of consequences. Just say'n. It's your bike and you can do whatever you want to with it. Me, I prefer riding it rather then wiping oil off the floor and engine constantly.

Based upon reading your topic again. I would say replacing that side cover gasket should take care of your leaking issues. Lets hope none of the bolt/screw holes are stripped by you or the previous owner.

If you don't have a repair manual for your bike. I suggest you get one. It'll be the most valuable tool in your tool box. It will take you through the step by step instructions on how to take that engine side cover off and replace the gasket. Also, there are a lot of XV535 owners here on the forum that can chime in and help you out.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location.
It will aid us in assisting you!

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed May 13, 2020 3:21 am

neatocary7,

Noticed the tread pattern on your front time. Are you running Dunlop Elite II's. I got 20,000 miles out of those. My only complaint/disappointment was that center tread would follow ever crack and rain grove in the road.

Now that I wore them out with a little tread left. I switched up to Dunlop Elite 3's. They don't make the elite II's anymore. At least not for XV1100's. The tread pattern has completely changed to the better. The tires don't follow the road cracks anymore. On corning they are more sure footed. Bike handling a big improvement over all. So, whens it time for a change the Elite 3's are a good choice. However, your tires look like you have a bunch of miles to wear off.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

neatocary7
What Virago you Own:

Re: 93' 535, Found Oil Leak, Need Help Diagnosing (SOLVED)

Post by neatocary7 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:33 am

Here are some circled pictures. Pic 2 and Pic 4 actually show the leaks. Pic 1 and Pic 3 are there to better understand where you are looking in the close up pictures. Also, the powder spray used was not extremely powdery. I did not wipe it off, but I can see the pictures do not do justice for for what the naked eye can see.

As for the impact wrench, I totally agree. I have no torque wrench, and with a little anxiousness, gave a very slight trigger pull with my dewalt impact driver hoping that it would make a difference. I was careful not to go overboard, but I will stay clear of that tactic from now on. Better to be safe than sorry!

If you have any more advice with the better pictures, I'd love to hear! Otherwise, it seems as if i need to buy some more tools or take a ride to the shop.

Although these tires came with the bike. I havent been confident enough to go for longer rides with the oil leaks, but ill try to pay attention to what your talking about, and keep in mind the 3's when I wear em down. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

neatocary7
What Virago you Own:

Post by neatocary7 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:37 am

I'm not the most computer savy... Here is Pic 2 again.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed May 13, 2020 10:13 am

neatocary7
Looks to me like you need a new side cover gasket.

Dewalt Impacts are pretty powerful impacts. 1/4" or 1/2" drives, both pack a punch even with a slight trigger pull.
Place a socket on and hold it with your hand tightly and give it a slight trigger pull.

Buy two torque wrenches. One 3/8" drive for Ft. Lbs. The other 1/4" drive for inch pounds. Well worth the expense.

Take note in the manual on how to remove the screws there is a pattern. Same for reinstalling.
Example:
ENGINE SIDE COVER & GASKET INSTALL MADE EASY
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=857

Dowel Pins are used on the Flywheel side of the bike to stabilize the engine side cover (from magnetic pulling) and eliminates damaging the gasket.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

neatocary7
What Virago you Own:

Post by neatocary7 » Wed May 13, 2020 3:55 pm

Awesome, thank you! Its actually the right side cover with the oil filter and such if there's a link you have on that side. Otherwise, I'll be careful with my soon to be new torque wrenches. I called in and they do have the gasket at my local yamaha store, so off to pick that up and a couple extra tools. I'll let you know how it goes, and am happy to take any tips if anyone else has one to give.

neatocary7
What Virago you Own:

Post by neatocary7 » Fri May 15, 2020 8:04 am

Finally got the time to do the replacement yesterday, it no longer leaks in those two places! There was a very small collection of oil still at the bottom of the engine after my test ride, but 95% less than before. Also, i didnt find any info on how tight those crancase cover bolts should be..... I did buy a torque wrench, but ended up just using "one hand at the sockets head" worth of strength to tighten it down to not strip out the threads.

If anyone knows those bolt torques, please let me know and ill torque them correctly.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri May 15, 2020 9:11 am

neatocary7 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:04 am
Finally got the time to do the replacement yesterday, it no longer leaks in those two places! There was a very small collection of oil still at the bottom of the engine after my test ride, but 95% less than before. Also, i didnt find any info on how tight those crancase cover bolts should be..... I did buy a torque wrench, but ended up just using "one hand at the sockets head" worth of strength to tighten it down to not strip out the threads.

If anyone knows those bolt torques, please let me know and ill torque them correctly.

Also, i didnt find any info on how tight those crancase cover bolts should be
When tightening the engine side covers it is in a Criss Cross Pattern.
See example above.
ENGINE SIDE COVER & GASKET INSTALL MADE EASY

Earlier we mentioned that the most important tool in your tool box was the manual. Without it, you shouldn't place a wrench on your bike to tighten anything. But then again, it's your bike. Just Say'n

Click Image to Enlarge:
XV535 TORQUE VALUES.png
Rob has created a section Service Manuals & Documentation
Just go there and download the manual for your bike if you don't have one.

I know, it's an electronic copy and it won't fit in your tool box. :lol:

However, you can print off pages needed when working on your bike.
86.4 Inch Pounds will be more accurate.

Happy wrenching!
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

neatocary7
What Virago you Own:

Post by neatocary7 » Mon May 18, 2020 2:15 pm

Thanks Joe, I got everything torqued to spec, and am riding around feeling good about it. And I definitely get what your saying about the tires, thanks for making me aware.