beefier rear shocks for 1995 XV1100?

This area is for sharing Maintenance Procedures & Information related to the Yamaha Virago Suspension.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Re: beefier rear shocks for 1995 XV1100?

Post by jsyzdek » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:32 pm

Agreed. I got enough road rash as a kid riding a bicycle. I wanted none of that as a grown up with a family to feed, at 5-7x the speed.

There is always a calculated risk in riding, and everyone's calculation is a little different. There's nothing to brag about when it comes to laying down bikes, but I have done that in the past and my kevlar-reinforced leathers and other gear, did the job, including falling 60-70 feet down a cliff into rocks, where my bike got totally... totalled... and yours truly only got a little impact wound on the shoulder, where the protection spread the impact over a large area, but it was still enough to smash the skin. But no bruises or broken bones. The trick is: let the bike go its own way. It's a lot safer to stay on your own and not let the metal drag you around.

While I think I ride a fair amount, it's not a whole lot. Especially now with 2 bikes, my mileage gets spread a little thinner. I'm weary of riding on old rubber, and so I got tires that should give me 4-5 years of riding. If I went with something that would give me 20k miles, I would need close to 10 years to get there, at which point they would get pretty old and hard. So I opted for something stickier. Same on the sport bike: I went with supersports. I know, if I get 8k miles out of them, I should feel lucky, but that will take me 5 years at the current pace. I also do the same on my car. I run Goodyear's RS-A tires with treadwear 260. 20k miles is about all you're gonna get out of them (especially the way I drive), but again: that takes me about 5 years since we put most mileage on wife's car.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: beefier rear shocks for 1995 XV1100?

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:05 pm

Trust me, I wore my tires out way before their life span limit of around 6 years.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

Yamaha Virago manuals for download. Left Side Panel
or Click this Link:
https://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1722