Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

CLUNK IN TRIPLE TREE - TIP [INFO]

This area is for sharing Maintenance Procedures & Information related to the Yamaha Virago Suspension.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

CLUNK IN TRIPLE TREE - TIP [INFO]

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:14 am

Do you experience a pronounced clunk in the bikes front end when braking on bumpy pavement. Sounds like it is coming from the triple tree that may have bad bearings. Most of the time, it is not the triple tree at all. Want that clunk to go away?

Invest in a set of "Progressive Fork Springs" for your Virago and eliminate that clunk.

Virago's were manufactured with mushy, or shall we say, weak soft springs. Depending on a persons body weight and the softness of the springs causes this condition (CLUNK).

As you are applying the brakes (usually at harder braking intervals) on less than ideal road conditions (non smooth), you get that irritating front end Clunk. The bike and the riders weight are transferred to the front end of the bike when braking and the springs get compressed to the point they can no longer absorb the energy of anymore fork travel upward. They become totally compressed (becoming a solid rod now) that telegraphs the sound of their total compression, upward. Making it sound, as if the triple tree is the culprit. But, not so! It is the springs that became totally compressed intermittently as you travel over the irregular road. Causing the Clunking sound you hear.

Hope this tip helps someone.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

Schu
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100 (sold)
1976 DT175
1975 DT400
1975 DT250 (2)
1975 DT175
1975 DT125
1975 DT100
1975 GT80
1974 DT360
1974 Z50
1972 JT60 (2)
1971 JT60
1971 CT175
1970 CT175
2017 SCR950

Re: CLUNK IN TRIPLE TREE - TIP

Post by Schu » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:31 pm

Joe, I'm thinking it might be more than just the progressive fork springs that stopped your triple tree from clunking. I barely recognized you when we got together for our ride this year. You are looking fit and trim my friend. So don't give your new springs all the credit. You also reduced your GVW. (Gross Virago Weight) lol :)

ViragoJoe

Re: CLUNK IN TRIPLE TREE - TIP

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:10 am

Schu wrote:Joe, I'm thinking it might be more than just the progressive fork springs that stopped your triple tree from clunking. I barely recognized you when we got together for our ride this year. You are looking fit and trim my friend. So don't give your new springs all the credit. You also reduced your GVW. (Gross Virago Weight) lol :)
Thanks Bill.
I think I mentioned something in my post regarding a persons body weight when braking. Nah, it's the springs, trust me! When I was hauling around the extra 55 pounds the springs did take away the clunk even with that extra bulk I had. Now with the weight loss. I can ride two up without the Virago complaining to much. She probably thought I was riding two up all the time before. LOL

Still have to watch the ole adipose (a.k.a. FAT) for it can sneak back when you aren't looking. Came down from 220 lbs to my lowest 165 lbs a 55 lbs weight loss. Currently, I'm hovering at 175 lbs a 45 lbs weight loss. My plan is to knock off 15 additional lbs and get to 160 lbs. Then I'll try to stay right there weight wise.

Trust me on this one. It is really hard to take it off, but so easy to gain it back. It's kind of like a can of biscuits. Hit it against a counter top and BOOPH there was more in that can than you thought!! The same goes for gaining weight!!!
ViragoJoe
;)

MAK
What Virago you Own: 1997 XV1100

Re: CLUNK IN TRIPLE TREE - TIP [INFO]

Post by MAK » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:06 am

I agree that the shocks on the virago especilly mine are mushy. I thought mine were due to age. I will need to replace the back as well. Are there suggestions from those that have replaced these already?
MAK
Long time Yamaha rider with a big gap in between riding...
1st Bike - Yamaha XJ650G Maxim 1 1980
Current Bike - Yamaha XV1100 Virago 1997

“Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination.” -Roy M. Goodman

ViragoJoe

Re: CLUNK IN TRIPLE TREE - TIP [INFO]

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:19 am

MAK wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:06 am
I agree that the shocks on the virago especilly mine are mushy. I thought mine were due to age. I will need to replace the back as well. Are there suggestions from those that have replaced these already?
Your front suspension are consider forks and not shocks like the rears are.

The best alternative to mushy front forks is what I suggested in the opening topic. Progressive Springs for the front forks.

Progressive Suspension:

https://www.progressivesuspension.com/p ... spring-kit

They're several manufacturers that make Rear Shocks for Virago's. Do some research to determine what would be most suitable for your bike and your riding style.
ViragoJoe
;)