Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Is this a problem?

This area is for sharing Maintenance Procedures & Information related to the Yamaha Virago Wheels & Brakes.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Michelle
What Virago you Own: 1988 XV400 Virago

Is this a problem?

Post by Michelle » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:00 am

Is this a problem, and if so, how do I fix it?
The tube in the tyre seems to have moved a bit and I can't screw the retaining nut all the way down.
20190603_164107.jpg
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: Is this a problem?

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:27 am

Michelle wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:00 am
Is this a problem, and if so, how do I fix it?
The tube in the tyre seems to have moved a bit and I can't screw the retaining nut all the way down.
20190603_164107.jpg
I'm assuming that is a picture of the front tire tube valve stem. That isn't usually an issue, but would look better straight up and down. However, deflating the tube and jiggling the valve stem can sometimes right things. When you take the bike in for the new rear tire, they should be able to do that for you at no charge.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

Michelle
What Virago you Own: 1988 XV400 Virago

Post by Michelle » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:53 am

Okies. Thanks Joe. I'll let them know when she goes in.
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates

MAK
What Virago you Own: 1997 XV1100

Post by MAK » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:48 am

Michelle:

If you don't want to wait you can deflate the tire enough and then instead of attempting to move the tube move the tire instead. I find this a lot easier. This happens to my bicycle all the time. Of course it is likely easier to shift the tire on a bicyle vs a motorcycle. Unless the rim is cutting into the stem this should not be a problem. Just makes it more difficult to inflate the tire with the stem at a severe angle.
MAK
Long time Yamaha rider with a big gap in between riding...
1st Bike - Yamaha XJ650G Maxim 1 1980
Current Bike - Yamaha XV1100 Virago 1997

“Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination.” -Roy M. Goodman

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:36 am

MAK wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:48 am
Michelle:

If you don't want to wait you can deflate the tire enough and then instead of attempting to move the tube move the tire instead. I find this a lot easier. This happens to my bicycle all the time. Of course it is likely easier to shift the tire on a bicyle vs a motorcycle. Unless the rim is cutting into the stem this should not be a problem. Just makes it more difficult to inflate the tire with the stem at a severe angle.

"If you don't want to wait you can deflate the tire enough and then instead of attempting to move the tube move the tire instead."

Mak,
Not that simple. I Have to disagree with your approach here on moving the tire. Bicycle tires are waaaay different than motorcycle tires. You need a special tool to break the bead of a motorcycle tire from the rim or another method to do that.

Bead Breaker tool: This is just one of several different types available.
Motion-Pro-Bead-Pro.jpg
Okay, now you break the tire bead from the rim to rotate the tire. You have just caused another problem in fixing the crooked tube stem. You have just knocked the tire out of balance, due to shifting the tire to a new location on the rim and must now re-balance it. Now that you have done all this work breaking the tire down, just adjust the tube valve stem. You pretty much have the tire to the point of removing it. At that point, no real need to move the tire, just realign the tube valve stem.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)