Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Bearing information [CLOSED]

This area is for sharing Maintenance Procedures & Information related to the Yamaha Virago Wheels & Brakes.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

The_Proletariat
What Virago you Own: 1982 Kawasaki KZ550

Bearing information [CLOSED]

Post by The_Proletariat » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:54 pm

How does one diagnose a bad wheel bearing? Also, how does one diagnose bad steering stem bearings?

Not for a Virago but the principals should be the same.

Rob
Administrator
Administrator
What Virago you Own: Unable to ride due to health issues...

Re: Bearing information

Post by Rob » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:15 am

Generally if bearings fail you can hear what sounds almost like sand grit where the bearing set is at. This is a dead giveaway. Are you feeling resistance in the stem when your turn the wheel? Put the bike up on the center stand and tilt it so the front wheel is up to check for resistance in the wheel bearings or stem. If you feel resistance or it sound gritty then I suggest you tear it apart and inspect it all. Damaged front wheel bearings can also cause excessive heat when riding which is another symptom you can look for. Good luck
Rob
If this website was helpful please consider donating to help keep this site here for future Virago owners. :idea: ;) To donate using PayPal click HERE
If you are looking for service manuals for working on a Yamaha Virago we have them available for download HERE

The_Proletariat
What Virago you Own: 1982 Kawasaki KZ550

Post by The_Proletariat » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:33 am

If my steering stem head bolt is tightened to approx the correct torque I have a slow speed wobble while braking with the front only. I have loosened this bolt to get rid of the wobble and now I have a clunk over rough roads. I do not feel roughness in this bearing, and the forks resistance to turning is proportional to how tight the steering stem head bolt is. I believe I over tightened this bolt earlier this year and may have damaged the steering stem bearing.

As for the wheel bearing, I can hear a front end noise proportional to speed. It sounds like tire noise but it is louder than I remember. With the front wheel off the bearing spins freely and does not feel gritty. I am asking about this because on most roads I feel like the bike is pulling to the right, and I have more tire wear on the left side. Just trying to figure this out. I do not think this is rear wheel alignment (Last year I aligned the rear axle with the tape measure method and believe I did a good job. I have not had to adjust the chain since then therefore I have not moved the rear axle.)

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:34 am

The_Proletariat wrote:If my steering stem head bolt is tightened to approx the correct torque I have a slow speed wobble while braking with the front only. I have loosened this bolt to get rid of the wobble and now I have a clunk over rough roads. I do not feel roughness in this bearing, and the forks resistance to turning is proportional to how tight the steering stem head bolt is. I believe I over tightened this bolt earlier this year and may have damaged the steering stem bearing.

As for the wheel bearing, I can hear a front end noise proportional to speed. It sounds like tire noise but it is louder than I remember. With the front wheel off the bearing spins freely and does not feel gritty. I am asking about this because on most roads I feel like the bike is pulling to the right, and I have more tire wear on the left side. Just trying to figure this out. I do not think this is rear wheel alignment (Last year I aligned the rear axle with the tape measure method and believe I did a good job. I have not had to adjust the chain since then therefore I have not moved the rear axle.)
Kevin,
Hopefully, this may help some:

http://www.allaboutbikes.com/motorcycle ... -explained

http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html

Click on Photo's to enlarge:
Steering Head Adjustment.jpg
Wheel Bearings.jpg
Wheel Bearing Rear.jpg
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)