Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

1983 XV 500 Tire Options (SOLVED)

This area is for sharing Maintenance Procedures & Information related to the Yamaha Virago Wheels & Brakes.
ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1983 XV 500 Tire Options (SOLVED)

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed May 13, 2020 2:44 pm

jsyzdek,

My friend you are preaching to the choir here. I'm aware of all the different types of tires out there. And this subject can open a real can of worms similar to oils riders use. Virago's are cruisers and meant for cruising. What folks want to do and with their bikes is their business and their's alone. I myself, went with a larger tire in the rear for I liked the look. Wider face etc. Do I expect it to grip like glue to the road, nope. Just keep me vertical and happy going down the road. That's all I ask of my tires.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include YOUR LOCATION.
It will aid us in ASSISTING YOU! Capeesh?

rchawaii
What Virago you Own: XV 500

Post by rchawaii » Wed May 13, 2020 2:51 pm

I appreciate all of the input. I will be a very casual rider. I'm over 50 years old, so wheelies and road rash are no longer in my diet ;)
My bike is a 1983 Yamaha XV Virago 500

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: It's a 1995 XV1100. And my dad has a 1996 XV535 :-)

Post by jsyzdek » Wed May 13, 2020 5:02 pm

I have to respectfully disagree. Look up Newton's third law of dynamics (action = reaction)

If the ground wasn't pushing back, the bike would keep falling.

If you put a bike onto something that has no ability to push back, i.e. thin air, quick sand, you name it, the bike will keep going down my friend. Solid pavement pushes back and that's what keeps you afloat. :ugeek:
Keep Calm and Ride On!

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: It's a 1995 XV1100. And my dad has a 1996 XV535 :-)

Post by jsyzdek » Wed May 13, 2020 5:09 pm

I can see that this is a sensitive topic, but the thing is: physics don't care about democracy. Copernicus was one of the few that thought it's the Earth going around the Sun, not the other way around, and that didn't make him any less correct :-)

I'm not trying to persuade anyone to do wheelies, drag their knees in corners, or anything else. It really is up to all of us to make choices, especially when it comes to bikes. It is the freedom that I like most about riding them, and modifying them. So if you are a casual rider and want the white wall looks, and/or the wide tire looks, and don't feel like splurging on high performance tires, that's all perfectly fine! But if you think that a larger tire will give you a larger contact patch and/or more grip, that's not true... :ugeek:

There is another thing about wider tires. If you mount them onto the standard rim, the tire will be more "pinched" and so the profile will become a little more aggressive, i.e. the bike will be easier to turn in, and happier to stay leaned over. Probably not something you would really notice with 1 size up, especially on the rear tire. But it is another physical/mechanical consideration. Again: more power to guys who try things, and do it their own way :-) Just sharing the very few things I know (tires and batteries), while learning about a whole range of other things here :-)
Keep Calm and Ride On!

rchawaii
What Virago you Own: XV 500

Post by rchawaii » Fri May 15, 2020 11:41 am

You jumped in to argue for some reason about Newtons Law of equal and opposite force. Nothing sensitive about that, but it's not necessary. The way you responded also seems like an attempt to degrade people because you think you have more knowledge about physics.

Now, on the contrary if a comment I make is a obviously dangerous one, then by all means let me know, hey thats not a good idea, or even, hey those specific tires you chose are dangerous and have a recall, or something of that nature..

I did not ask for a physics discussion, nor do I care to have one when discussing tires and a simple purchase for casual use. I also don't care if I spend $50.00 a tire or $200.00 a tire. If I can get a tire for $50.00 and it works, I am ok with that.

I have purchased my tires after posting this topic and listening to ViragoJoe. When they arrive, I will know how that purchase decision was.
My bike is a 1983 Yamaha XV Virago 500