Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

1983 XV 500 Tire Options (SOLVED)

This area is for sharing Maintenance Procedures & Information related to the Yamaha Virago Wheels & Brakes.
rchawaii
What Virago you Own: XV 500

1983 XV 500 Tire Options (SOLVED)

Post by rchawaii » Fri May 08, 2020 12:43 pm

The 83 XV500 calls for the following tire sizes:

Front 3.00-19 90/90/-19
Rear 130/90-16

I am looking for two things I hope someone can answer, because I've forgotten and no longer have access to that information.

What is the largest Tire size on the 500 I can go with?
I am looking for whitewalls, if anyone has personal experience with a certain brand.

Thanks!
My bike is a 1983 Yamaha XV Virago 500

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1983 XV 500 Tire Options (SOLVED)

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri May 08, 2020 4:26 pm

rchawaii wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:43 pm
The 83 XV500 calls for the following tire sizes:

Front 3.00-19 90/90/-19
Rear 130/90-16

I am looking for two things I hope someone can answer, because I've forgotten and no longer have access to that information.

I am looking for whitewalls, if anyone has personal experience with a certain brand.

Thanks!
Charles,

There really isn't documented information regarding the largest tire sizes that can be placed for all Models of Virago's. Only standard sizes published by Yamaha. 1st generation '81, '82, and '83 model years are iffy for over sized tires.
And that would include '83 XV500's.
See article below Virago Wheels and Tires

Here's an Excerpt taken from that article:
In my opinion, going one oversize on the front slows down steering and degrades handling. Going one oversize on the rear maybe possible, but particularly on the ’81-’83 frame style, the clearance between the left side (drive shaft) swing arm and the tire is very tight to start with, and I have seen oversize tires (140’s) rub that swing arm.
There is an Engineering Term for determining what the biggest tire is that you can place on Virago's it's called "Trial and Error" to determine what will fit over standard tires. Usually done for rear tires only. But, I have seen online were folks have done both.

I can say for sure that for XV1100's the Rear Tire can go up bigger by one tire size for I have done this personally.

Also, read this article.

Virago Wheels and Tires
https://www.viragohelp.com/virago-wheels-and-tires/

Standard Tire size for XV1100:
Front
100/90-19
Rear
140/90-15

My rear Tire is 150/90-15. It provides a very Robust look. The Tread Face is considerably wider than the standard tire. A look I happen to like. Also, makes the tire taller by 9mm = 0.354 in. (approximately 11/32's)

My bike is on the left with the over sized Rear Tire.
LARGER TIRE WIDTH.jpeg
When going with that larger rear tire.

The tire face is much wider and gives the rear of the Virago a healthier robust look. Which I happen to like.

That width is what makes the tire a tight fit when installing it on the XV1100 Virago. But, it fits!

The larger Rear Tire does shave 2 to 3 hundred RPM's off at cruising speeds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include YOUR LOCATION.
It will aid us in ASSISTING YOU! Capeesh?

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: It's a 1995 XV1100. And my dad has a 1996 XV535 :-)

Post by jsyzdek » Sat May 09, 2020 11:21 am

rchawaii wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:43 pm
Hi

Just like Joe, I have an XV1100 and the fit with the standard tire is already pretty tight, but I can see that one size up is doable. I'm guessing it's probably similar for the 500. If I considered going with a larger tire, I would probably:
1) measure the clearances with the standard tire. That would be your first estimate of what might fit.
2) take the wheel off and pay attention of how tight it is to take it. You may even try to wiggle it back in, again, watching for how tight it is and what the tight spots are.
3) grab something relatively firm, yet pliable, e.g. bathroom rug or something like that, wrap it around the tire and fix in place with zip-ties or some wire, and try wiggling that into place. Should give you some idea if it would be possible to push in something larger than the stock tire.

Otherwise, yes, grabbing a new tire is the ultimate test, but you may not be able to return it after you mount it on the rim, and find out it doesn't fit.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

geezyrider
What Virago you Own: XV535 1994 Virago

Post by geezyrider » Sun May 10, 2020 8:43 am

Putting a larger tire on the rear is a sure way of having to replace the clutch sooner than you wanted to.
May the wind be at Your Back.
And the Sun be on Your shoulder.
Don't You ever quit that Cruising.
Even when You get much older!

ViragoJoe

Re: 1983 XV 500 Tire Options

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun May 10, 2020 11:57 am

geezyrider wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:43 am
Putting a larger tire on the rear is a sure way of having to replace the clutch sooner than you wanted to.
Hal,
To some extent this maybe true (Rolling Friction). Any modifications to ones Bike, there are always consequences. But, I don't think an oversized tire would really add considerable wear to the clutch. If any, it would be minimal clutch wear.

As these below would have more of an affect to Clutch Wear:

* Clutch wear would be affected more by the size of the Payload (Weight) being carried by the bike. Riding Two Up and Carrying Cargo.

* Pulling a motorcycle trailer.

* Hilly Terrain.

* Engine Braking to slow down.

* How much the rider slips the clutch when taking off from a stand still.

"Oils with incorrect frictional properties can allow the plates to slip in some circumstances, which you’ll feel as lost power to the ground. A powerful V-twin riding up a hill, for example, can generate sufficient load to cause the clutch plates to slip and the bike to surge."

Luckily, motorcycle clutches are a very Robust Design and bathed in oil to keep them somewhat cool extending their life. There are dry motorcycle clutches too.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

rchawaii

Post by rchawaii » Wed May 13, 2020 10:55 am

Have been lurking and reading up. I have purchased tires (Shinko Whitewalls) standard rear and 100/90 front for now. I would like as much tire to road surface as possible. so I will definitely be paying attention to this info when the tires arrive.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed May 13, 2020 11:24 am

rchawaii wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:55 am
Have been lurking and reading up. I have purchased tires (Shinko Whitewalls) standard rear and 100/90 front for now. I would like as much tire to road surface as possible. so I will definitely be paying attention to this info when the tires arrive.
Oh Buddy,
If we knew exactly how much tire contact patch touches the pavement. We would both possibly give up riding.

There isn't a very big swatch of rubber touching the road even with both tires touching. A good reason not to do wheelies. Keep as much rubber as possible providing friction or there can be big consequences. Road rash HURTS. No need to ask how I know this. Its been years, so it is a distant memory. Yet, I know it still hurts. Ah yes, moving asphalt can grind off the seat of your pants in a heart beat!

Click Image to Enlarge:
TIRE MOTORCYCLE CONTACT AREA.jpg

"When the motorcycle is upright, the contact patch is oval-shaped and can be represented by an easily identifiable point. Things get tricky at lean and when weight and cornering/acceleration/braking forces are added, all of which distort the contact patch. Photo courtesy of Dunlop"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: It's a 1995 XV1100. And my dad has a 1996 XV535 :-)

Post by jsyzdek » Wed May 13, 2020 2:13 pm

Well, the size of the contact patch is just one thing. When you look at Moto GP bikes, you don't see their tires being any larger than "normal". If you look at guys racing on ice, their contact patch is really small (just a few spikes at a time)... But let's limit this to street bikes and street tires (not off-road). The size of the contact patch is essentially dictated by simple physics: pressure = force / area. That's the definition of pressure, right? and so, from Newton's third law of dynamics (action = reaction) the weight of the bike pushing on the ground, is balanced by the ground pushing up the bike. That force is equal: pressure * area. Pressure is your tire pressure, and the area is the area of the contact patch. I agree, there is also the stiffness of the compound that comes into play, but we don't want to write a book here, so let's keep it simple for now.

The size of the tire doesn't come into play, AT ALL. You want a larger contact patch? bleed the air! so long as the rim doesn't touch the ground (through the rubber), and it's the air in the tire that is doing the job, that simple relationship between the pressure, area, and the weight of the bike, will work.

Back to Moto GP: you don't see those guys running on tires that look like flat, do you? so the size of the contact patch isn't all that important, is it? again, we're talking about grippy, hard pavement, not sand/dirt, or ice. What you see them do, is use tires with very soft compound, so that you are actually grabbing all the little particles the pavement is made of, rather than a hard rubber that will only contact the tips of those particles. So you want a soft, "sticky" compound to get maximum grip. Again: the size of the tire didn't show up in this.

If you want more grip, drop the Shinkos, and get something made of soft rubber. It won't last, and if you don't lean hard into corners most of the time, you will square those off in a hurry. So maybe Shinkos will do just fine.

Either way, thinking that a larger tire will give you a larger contact patch is a myth. Big bikes use big tires because there just isn't much rubber on a small tire, and you would use it up way too soon... Looks are another consideration, but again: that has nothing to do with grip.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

rchawaii

Post by rchawaii » Wed May 13, 2020 2:19 pm

I also considered looks for what its worth. I will not be riding much, so I assume the Shinkos will suffice.

Lots of good information.

rchawaii

Post by rchawaii » Wed May 13, 2020 2:21 pm

" the ground pushing up the bike"

I don't think the ground exerts any pressure onto the bike. Gravity on the other hand is another subject.