Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

1993 535 brake bleed issue [CLOSED]

This area is for sharing Maintenance Procedures & Information related to the Yamaha Virago Wheels & Brakes.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

MichelleR
What Virago you Own:

1993 535 brake bleed issue [CLOSED]

Post by MichelleR » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:27 pm

Hello everyone. I replaced my front brake lever and now there is no pressure in the front brake line. I think I have to bleed it. How does the brake bleed screw work to pump out fluid if there is no hole on the bottom? Does the top nipple part somehow suck the fluid once I hold the lever down? Is there anything else you can tell me why the brake doesn't work after replacing the lever? Thanks in advance.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: 1993 535 brake bleed issue

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:38 pm

MichelleR wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:27 pm
Hello everyone. I replaced my front brake lever and now there is no pressure in the front brake line. I think I have to bleed it. How does the brake bleed screw work to pump out fluid if there is no hole on the bottom? Does the top nipple part somehow suck the fluid once I hold the lever down? Is there anything else you can tell me why the brake doesn't work after replacing the lever? Thanks in advance.
Michelle,
There is an adjustment screw with lock nut on the brake lever. That is, if you purchased the correct lever. If it didn't come with the new lever. You must take it from your old lever. Adjust that screw until it reaches the Brake master cylinder and then lock it in place with the lock nut. You can adjust it to your liking. You don't have to bleed the brakes, if you didn't touch anything else. The system will still be closed and no air would have gotten into the system. You are only changing the lever and it won't affect the system itself.

If you don't have a repair manual for your bike already. I suggest that you get one. It is one of your most important tools. A lot of helpful information within it. A good thing to peruse in your leisure.

Virago Brakes:
https://www.viragohelp.com/virago-brakes/
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)