1996 XV750 Supporting the Bike Front Wheel Removal (New Jersey)

This area is for sharing Maintenance Procedures & Information related to the Yamaha Virago Wheels & Brakes.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

lunawoodworking
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago 750

1996 XV750 Supporting the Bike Front Wheel Removal (New Jersey)

Post by lunawoodworking » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:12 pm

When I first signed on here I posted a question about jacking the bike up to work on it - Joe was kind enough to suggest that this was not a good idea, though he would like to see the pictures of the aftermath should I decide to try.

I had to take the front wheel off today (leaking air, and pretty much cracked and dried out), and was trying to figure out how to safely support it for however long it took to get the tire changed. I found a simple (to me) solution which I had not seen on any of the YouTube videos I have watched.

I bolted a couple of D rings down to the garage floor and threw a ratchet strap over the seat and pulled the rear wheel down to the ground (while on the center stand). That thing was not going anywhere. I hope this can help someone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1996 XV750 Supporting the Bike Front Wheel Removal (New Jersey)

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:22 pm

lunawoodworking wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:12 pm
When I first signed on here I posted a question about jacking the bike up to work on it - Joe was kind enough to suggest that this was not a good idea, though he would like to see the pictures of the aftermath should I decide to try.

I had to take the front wheel off today (leaking air, and pretty much cracked and dried out), and was trying to figure out how to safely support it for however long it took to get the tire changed. I found a simple (to me) solution which I had not seen on any of the YouTube videos I have watched.

I bolted a couple of D rings down to the garage floor and threw a ratchet strap over the seat and pulled the rear wheel down to the ground (while on the center stand). That thing was not going anywhere. I hope this can help someone.
=============================================================================

Luna,
When I first signed on here I posted a question about jacking the bike up to work on it
My friend you are placing a considerable amount of stress on your seat. You may not be able to get the strap mark out of it. The optimal word in your first sentence is Jacking. you aren't jacking.

Once on the Center Stand you just need a small scissor jack with a block of wood on it. Placed under the front of the engine case and raise the bike that way until the rear tire touches the floor. No stress on any thing that way.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Post by jsyzdek » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:19 pm

I was gonna write the same thing as Joe: when most of the bike's weight is on the center stand, you only need a little bit of force under the oil pan to lift the front wheel. I don't even bother with a scissor jack. I just find a large enough block of wood with maybe one or two smaller pieces for "fine tuning" and just lift the front by hand as I slide the block under the engine.

However, if you weren't on the center stand and wanted to truly jack up the whole bike by the oil pan: I'd set up a good camera first, for it may make for a good YouTube or TikTok video. Who knows: maybe the ad revenue from millions of views of the "bike fail vid!" would be good enough to buy a brand-new bike?
Keep Calm and Ride On!

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:58 am

Luna,

Here are pictures on how I use my Center Stand with a scissor jack.

With the Scissor Jack you can adjust the tilt angle of the bike at will. No muss, no fuss. Kind of like a teeter totter affect.

After the front wheel and tire are removed first. Then (with the jack) you can lower the front end of the bike down enough to clear the rear fender when removing the rear wheel and tire.

The picture is some what misleading. The jack looks to be in the center of the engine. It is not, it is at the front of the engines bottom casing.

During winter storage I place the jack under the front most part of the engine and lift the front wheel and tire off the floor. So, there is no weight on the tires during winter storage months. I always use a small block of wood between the jack and the engine case. The jack has a gnarly looking lift pad that could be detrimental to the Engine Casing. Always better to be safe than sorry. That way there's no harm, no foul. If there was no bad outcome to an action, then there's no need to be angry or upset about it.

You can also make a lazy Susan Joe, that is placed under the Center Stand. That way, if required, you can Turn the Bike to face in another direction. For example, all your tools are on one side of the biker. Why move all the tools to the other side of the bike. Just spin the bike a 180 degrees around. Takes less time than trying to move all the tools to the other side.

Click Image to Enlarge:
CENTER STAND IN USE.png

Click Image to Enlarge:
FINAL DRIVE REMOVAL SCISSOR JACK METHOD DSCI1087 A.png

Lazy Susan Pictures:
LAZY SUSAN DSCI0667.png
LAZY SUSAN DSCI0668.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

lunawoodworking
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago 750

Post by lunawoodworking » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:50 am

I appreciate the replies - though I think I should have explained my process a bit better. I used ratchet straps only for ease of use, not to torque it down to the floor. I can push the bike down with one hand, so there is little upward pressure on it, I only bring the bike down so the rear tire is in contact with the floor, not under compression - I figure between the two tie down points, center stand and rear wheel touching, 4 points of contact will make a stable platform. In addition, once I remove that front wheel, that is another, what? 20lbs or more of weight that is no longer pulling the bike down in the front - by this point the only thing that strap is probably doing is to keep the bike from pivoting on the center stand when I do something stupid (like grab the bike to help me get up off the floor).

I noticed no change to the appearance of my seat - but if that is a concern, and the bike is to be kept that way for a while, the seat comes off. But since I had the bike in this condition for about 3 hours - maybe, I don't see the harm. I have always been a bit leery of 'propping' things up (just a personal preference). I have spent considerable time around larger, full keel, sailboats, and I always get nervous walking under them when they are on the hard with just the braces to keep them from falling over. I know it is rare to happen, but personally, if it were not for bad luck, I would have no luck at all.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:09 am

Luna,

Okay Sir.

If you are comfortable with it, that is all that matters.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL: