Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

What do bar ends do?

This area is for sharing Maintenance Procedures & Information related to the Yamaha Virago Frame.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Michelle
What Virago you Own: 1988 XV400 Virago

What do bar ends do?

Post by Michelle » Sat May 18, 2019 6:35 am

I have two new pairs of handlegrips and I'm still deciding which ones to fit. One is a replica of my bike's original grips (these I prefer) but they are not designed for bar ends to be fitted. My other grips look nice and are modern and came with bar ends. So I'm wondering.. What are bar ends for? Do they serve a purpose?
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: What do bar ends do?

Post by ViragoJoe » Sat May 18, 2019 2:32 pm

Michelle wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:35 am
I have two new pairs of handlegrips and I'm still deciding which ones to fit. One is a replica of my bike's original grips (these I prefer) but they are not designed for bar ends to be fitted. My other grips look nice and are modern and came with bar ends. So I'm wondering.. What are bar ends for? Do they serve a purpose?
Hi Michelle,
Bar ends have two functions. One is, if the bike is ever dropped or falls over the handle bar usually turns and the bar end hits to take the impact of the fall. Second, it is a vibration dampener. Bar ends are usually weighted and help take the vibration out of the handle bars, usually at higher speeds where vibration is the greatest and most noticeable! The more cylinders a bike has, usually creates less vibration and seems smoother.

On Standard equipt Virago 1100's there isn't any bar ends to speak of. Except, for the plastic end caps used for cosmetic purposes. However, if you remove the left end cap you will see a metal bar inside of the handle bar. That bar is in there to take up vibration that we spoke of earlier. It is a vibration dampener.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)