1996 XV750 Right Seat Nut (New Jersey)

This area is for sharing Maintenance Procedures & Information related to the Yamaha Virago Frame.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

lunawoodworking
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago 750

1996 XV750 Right Seat Nut (New Jersey)

Post by lunawoodworking » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:02 pm

I figured as this was attached to the frame and is probably applicable across most models, I would ask this here.

I purchased this bike as a project, and I got just that. Nothing major wrong (yet), but I keep finding little annoying things. This one for instance; the right hand seat bolt will not thread in. Actually, it was not there - so I tried the obvious and used the left hand one to see if it was the same thread size... wouldn't thread in. I tried a couple bolts up and down in thread size (figuring someone jury rigged something somewhere along the line)... nope. So I just figured it was stripped out.

Put a battery tender on the bike yesterday, and while I had the seat off I decided to take a closer look. I could not get a picture, couldn't get light between the camera and frame to illuminate inside the nut - can't find my bore cam. Anywho... What I saw inside the nut was a piece of broken off bolt, and unfortunately it was not broken off in the threads, it snapped off inside the captive nut (see photo below) and is sideways - so I was looking at the side of the threads.

Of course I grabbed a magnet, then realized I would have to get that to turn, then thread in, then thread all the way out. Don't think that is happening.

How do I get this out? My thoughts are running towards slicing open the end of the nut (that rounded part) and seeing if the piece will come out that way and hopefully preserve the threads. Next would be to cut it completely off and weld on a new nut - but I hate welding in closed areas like that, especially when gas and oil are nearby.

I could also put a blob of JB weld putty in there, poke a pilot hole, then drill and tap after it has set up (I have tapped this stuff before and it is surprisingly strong. I do have a nut-sert tool, I would have to see if I could get it in there (for those not familiar with this, it is a rivit type gun that installs threaded inserts)

Comments? Suggestions? Since this is part of the stuff that keeps me attached to the bike, I kind of want to do this sort of right as opposed to full on half assed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1996 XV750 Right Seat Nut (New Jersey)

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:09 am

lunawoodworking

Well sir,

That is a Crown Nut placed on by someone (like the previous owner). The nut that belongs there is an open face nut on both sides, so that the screw can actually go right through it and is definitely not chromed. That current crown nut may be held on with epoxy and not tack welded in place. That Crown Nut may be S.A.E. and not Metric. So, the screw sheared off and the end stayed in the crown nut. What was in there originally was a 4 corner Metric nut. As long as you have matching screw and Nut it really doesn't matter it it were metric or S.A.E. Myself, I would stay with Metric for the complete bike is metric. I wouldn't mix Apples and Oranges. Folks do strange things. They would rather Jury Rig with parts they have on hand than get off their A$$es and get the correct items!

Remember the definition of Jury-Rigged: "temporary fix!". In your case it was definitely temporary.

Good luck replacing that crown nut.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

lunawoodworking
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago 750

Post by lunawoodworking » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:06 pm

Thanks - the reason I thought that was legit to the bike was that the black paint blends in perfectly, so it looks factory (having never seen anything else), though I wondered why it was different from the left side - then again, since I have gotten this thing I have been scratching my head and wondering why they have done many of the things they did. For instance, I would love to meet the guy that decided it would be fun to take apart half the bike to change the oil (ranks up there with changing the rear middle spark plug on some transverse mount 6 cyl Chryslers and Chevys - just partially remove the engine, thats all...)

Ok - garage should be warm by now... let's grab a cold chisel and go to town.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:38 pm

luna,

For the way the temperatures have been lately. It'll be a COLD Chisel for sure!
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.