Flyscreens [SOLVED]

This area is for sharing Maintenance Procedures & Information related to the Yamaha Virago Frame.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

youngfred

Flyscreens [SOLVED]

Post by youngfred » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:46 pm

Anybody wearing one of these?

Thinking about getting one.
Any Ratings?

Flyscreen.jpg

youngfred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1985 - XV700

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: Flyscreens

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:08 pm

youngfred wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:46 pm

Anybody wearing one of these?

Thinking about getting one.
Any Ratings?

Flyscreen.jpg

youngfred
The question is what do you think it will do for you?

Will it keep the flies and other bugs from bouncing off you chest and face?

In the rain will it keep you somewhat dry when you get caught in the rain?

Will it keep you somewhat warm on those chilly days you are out and about?

If you think it will just make you look cooler, go for it my friend!!
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

Yamaha Virago manuals for download. Left Side Panel
or Click this Link:
https://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1722

youngfred

Post by youngfred » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:56 pm

The question is what do you think it will do for you?

Will it keep the flies and other bugs from bouncing off you chest and face?

In the rain will it keep you somewhat dry when you get caught in the rain?

Will it keep you somewhat warm on those chilly days you are out and about?

If you think it will just make you look cooler, go for it my friend!!
[/quote]

I don't know what it will do for me? That is
why I am asking.

Putting the 'Cool' factor aside, [how]will it do
all of those other things that you brought up?

youngfred
1985 - XV700

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:20 pm

"Putting the 'Cool' factor aside, how will it do
all of those other things that you brought up?"

It Won't, that's why I brought them up.

Are you going for functionality or looks is the question here?
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

or Click this Link:

youngfred

Post by youngfred » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:51 am

I was fixin' to ask about tassels next, but...??? 8-)

Tassels.jpg

youngfred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1985 - XV700

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:28 am

youngfred wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:51 am

I was fixin' to ask about tassels next, but...??? 8-)

Tassels.jpg

youngfred

Tassels are only worth while if used with Ape Hanger Handle Bars and Exhaust Pipes at the same level over your head. As you can see by his example.

I know, it may be a difficult decision to make but, go with your gut feeling. Tassels or no tassels are for you to decide.

If you decide to go with the same length of tassels he has with standard Handle Bars. Just a suggestion here, try not to run over them for you won't like the outcome! :o :shock:
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

or Click this Link:

youngfred

Post by youngfred » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:31 pm

virago,

Thanks.

youngfred
1985 - XV700

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Re: Flyscreens [SOLVED]

Post by jsyzdek » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:01 am

OK, coming back to this old post. I have a windscreen installed on my XV1100. I like that it keeps the wind off my chest in cooler temps, making riding a lot more pleasant without wearing a lot of layers.

This is what I have:

That said, I can't find a good position for it, where my helmet wouldn't be caught up in a vortex. I adjusted it a few times and I found a position that wouldn't call "best", just "not the worst". Anything above 50mph is pretty darn loud. It helps me stay in check and not speed too much, but it does make long rides at >50mph uncomfortable.

I don't mind the wind hitting my helmet, I just don't want it to be right in the vortex. So a shorter screen may be fine. If I didn't have to look through it to see the road, that would actually be a plus. Now, when the road is wet and the spray from cars ahead makes the screen dirty, especially around sunrise or sunset, the resulting glare makes it really sketchy sometimes.

Please share if you had good or bad luck with any products out there.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:57 pm

jsyzdek wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:01 am
OK, coming back to this old post. I have a windscreen installed on my XV1100. I like that it keeps the wind off my chest in cooler temps, making riding a lot more pleasant without wearing a lot of layers.

This is what I have:

That said, I can't find a good position for it, where my helmet wouldn't be caught up in a vortex. I adjusted it a few times and I found a position that wouldn't call "best", just "not the worst". Anything above 50mph is pretty darn loud. It helps me stay in check and not speed too much, but it does make long rides at >50mph uncomfortable.

I don't mind the wind hitting my helmet, I just don't want it to be right in the vortex. So a shorter screen may be fine. If I didn't have to look through it to see the road, that would actually be a plus. Now, when the road is wet and the spray from cars ahead makes the screen dirty, especially around sunrise or sunset, the resulting glare makes it really sketchy sometimes.

Please share if you had good or bad luck with any products out there.
Yarek,

Read this topic below for Windshields. I highly recommend the windshield that was designed for the Larger Virago's
The one piece formed structure of this windshield allows the air to smoothly glide over its surface.

Notice that it covers the hand grips also and the sides of the windshield go down quite far to assist in eliminating buffeting from air coming up from under the windshield. No need for lower mounted fork air deflectors.

If you can not obtain the exact windshield, get the closest one piece windshield that resembles it and go from there.

Windshields

https://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=972
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

or Click this Link:

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Post by jsyzdek » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:28 am

Thx Joe. I saw that video from MC Rider a while back, but I wonder if people here had any particular luck (or lack thereof) with finding windshields for our larger Viragos (about the same size/height for anything 700cc+). I'm 5'9" (175cm), so pretty average height.
The video was aimed at a general audience and so it was very general in its contents. I'm hoping to find a more specific answer here, asking owners of "the same" (or very close to the same) bike about specific products they may have tried and found them to work, or not work. I'll be the first to admit that what I got isn't great for me on the XV1100, and by extension: for most people close to my height with most of the larger viragos. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're cruising at under 50mph.
Keep Calm and Ride On!