1995 XV1100 extra footpegs for the passenger...

This area is for sharing Maintenance Procedures & Information related to the Yamaha Virago Frame.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

1995 XV1100 extra footpegs for the passenger...

Post by jsyzdek » Tue May 05, 2020 12:36 pm

My wife complains about the position of the rear foot pegs when we go on longer rides and would like something a bit more forward-located, so she can relax, just like I do with the highway pegs.

She sat on the bike the other day and I was looking for good locations to put those, while she moved her feet around, showing me where the possible sweet spots are. And so I located those two bolts, that are at the same height on both sides (I was hoping to be able to paste images here, but I have no idea how to do it), the one on the left side of the bike is holding the shaft in place... I really wish I knew how to paste images here...

Arghhh, if someone can guess what bolts I'm talking about, or helps me post the pictures, I can show you what bolts exactly I'm thinking about. They are M8 or M10 bolts, pretty solid-looking.

So anyways, I'm considering replacing those two bolts with a lot longer ones and turning them into auxiliary foot pegs for the passenger. Obviously not for mounting the bike, just for resting the feet in a reclined position.

My question is: are there any issues you would anticipate if I were to do that: either during installation, or afterwards?
Keep Calm and Ride On!

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Re: 1995 XV1100 extra footpegs for the passenger...

Post by jsyzdek » Tue May 05, 2020 2:51 pm

OK, here are the pictures showing the bolts I mentioned earlier. They are highlighted in purple.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue May 05, 2020 5:02 pm

jsyzdek,

Those bolts are your engines rear mounting bolts. Those little jewels hold your engine into the the frame of the bike.

You cannot just loosen and pull them out for the weight of the engine is supported by them. The engine will need to be supported by wooden blocks on top of a jack or jacks to take the engine weight off those screws. Suggest scissor jack(s) be used for hydraulic jack(s) have a tendency to leak and slowly drop down.

Then locate screws long enough to accommodate supporting the engine with a nut to keep the frame against the engine. Then added length to accommodate the width of your wife's foot.

A much easier remedy is to have her piloting the bike and she can put her feet on the highway pegs!
And you would get a nice back rest and a terrific view of all the scenery and you get the cramped up feet! :idea: :lol: :roll:

Good thing you don't have my home address. LOL
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location & Bike Information.
It will aid us in assisting you!

jsyzdek

Post by jsyzdek » Wed May 06, 2020 1:52 am

No worries. I like a good joke :lol:

I would love to have her ride her own bike, and I'd go on my own. Or for her to ride and I would just look at the scenery. Ain't happening anytime soon, so I gotta make it more comfy.

I was thinking those would be some important bolts... yeah, so I wonder if they are made of special steel, that is strong enough to hold the engine, but not too hard, so that it isn't brittle and crack with the constant vibration of the engine. Finally, I wondered if some bending momentum at the end of that longer bolt, could cause cracking in the cast parts of the engine. I'm thinking: most likely not, given that it would be just for resting feet, and not for mounting the bike, but I'd rather not learn the opposite the hard (and expensive) way.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed May 06, 2020 6:53 am

jsyzdek wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:52 am
No worries. I like a good joke :lol:

I would love to have her ride her own bike, and I'd go on my own. Or for her to ride and I would just look at the scenery. Ain't happening anytime soon, so I gotta make it more comfy.

I was thinking those would be some important bolts... yeah, so I wonder if they are made of special steel, that is strong enough to hold the engine, but not too hard, so that it isn't brittle and crack with the constant vibration of the engine. Finally, I wondered if some bending momentum at the end of that longer bolt, could cause cracking in the cast parts of the engine. I'm thinking: most likely not, given that it would be just for resting feet, and not for mounting the bike, but I'd rather not learn the opposite the hard (and expensive) way.
The bolts are just regular hardened tempered steel for bolts and tensile strength. Depending on how long they are passed the frame mounting eyelet(s), standing on them could cause them to bend. Have her mount the bike as she normally does and there shouldn't be an issue. To just rest her feet on, not an issue. However, you both will have to remember they are there sticking out. Her shins and your leg calves. Trying to push the bike to jockey it around could catch your leg calf. Her dismounting, she could walk into it. Once you get use to them being there it will be second nature.

When I first placed a fuel shut off on my XV1100, I would always forget to turn the fuel back on. Now, I do it auto-magically.

DIY FUEL SHUT OFF VALVE - 1000 / 1100's

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=337
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location & Bike Information.
It will aid us in assisting you!

jsyzdek

Post by jsyzdek » Wed May 06, 2020 11:09 am

Thanks Joe!
Keep Calm and Ride On!