1992 XV1100 Holding the damper rod in place (Santa Ana, CA) [INFO.]

This area is for general tips one may have to give about the Yamaha Virago.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

ZBuser93
What Virago you Own: 1992 Virago XV1100DC

1992 XV1100 Holding the damper rod in place (Santa Ana, CA) [INFO.]

Post by ZBuser93 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:27 am

Just changed the fork seals on my 1992 Virago 1100, and got stumped when the time came to screw the damper rod bolt back into the bottom of the fork. The damper rod just turns with the bolt, and I couldn’t find any info online about how to hold it in place. The damper rod holder tool from revzilla was completely useless. I eventually found a perfect solution and want to share it here- get a 3/4” driver, and about 2 1/2 feet of extension. The 3/4” driver fits perfectly in the 12 point star socket on the damper rod. Hope this helps someone in the predicament I was in!

Click Images to Enlarge:
AFCF9A4F-E3C1-4DF3-8F7B-41176380B86B.jpeg
63C58350-0E79-4E24-B37F-AEAAEF472A3A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1992 XV1100 Holding the damper rod in place (Santa Ana, CA) [INFO.]

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:08 am

ZBuser93,

Here's another method with the use of 2 bolts and 1/2" electrical conduit:

Click Images to Enlarge:
FORK WRENCH 1.jpg
FORK WRENCH 2.jpg
Usually, the tool really isn't needed.

With the use of an impact wrench on the bottom screw to loosen it. There's no need to use a tool to hold the damper rod. That screw will come right out. To tighten the bottom screw with medium lock tight on it. Just reassemble the fork together with some spring tension on the damper rod to hold it in place, again no need for the tool when you torque down that screw to 17 ft-lbs. with a torque wrench. The springs tension will hold it in place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location.
It will aid us in assisting you!

ZBuser93
What Virago you Own: 1992 Virago XV1100DC

Post by ZBuser93 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:14 pm

ViragoJoe wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:08 am

With the use of an impact wrench on the bottom screw to loosen it. There's no need to use a tool to hold the damper rod. That screw will come right out. To tighten the bottom screw with medium lock tight on it. Just reassemble the fork together with some spring tension on the damper rod to hold it in place, again no need for the tool when you torque down that screw to 17 ft-lbs. with a torque wrench. The springs tension will hold it in place.
Haha I wish I had thought of that, would have saved me some time. Wasn’t in the Climber manual either, it just assumes you know certain basic things like that. I’ve worked on cars a bit but I’m brand new to bikes so I’ve gotten stumped a few times on things other motorcyclists consider basic.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:24 pm

ZBuser93 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:14 pm
ViragoJoe wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:08 am

Haha I wish I had thought of that, would have saved me some time. Wasn’t in the Climber manual either, it just assumes you know certain basic things like that. I’ve worked on cars a bit but I’m brand new to bikes so I’ve gotten stumped a few times on things other motorcyclists consider basic.
Not that we know everything here. But, it is always better to ask around prior to digging right in. We all have been where you are and that includes me as well. If am not sure, I'll ask questions. Sometimes you can damage things beyond repair and it will cost you $$$. Trust me here. I've made some big boo boo's and it cost me dearly. So, if I don't know, I'll ask!
Also, the internet is full of information. So, research, you'll be glad that you did.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location.
It will aid us in assisting you!