Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

How to put on new handle-grips

This is where people can post their opinions on what is recommended to do to your Yamaha Virago and what maybe not to do to it.

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Michelle
What Virago you Own: 1988 XV400 Virago

How to put on new handle-grips

Post by Michelle » Sat May 25, 2019 8:09 am

Ok. I'm putting this in the "Do's and Don'ts" section as I think it relates to safety.
I recently changed my old grips in favour of some new more original looking ones. I took my old grips off using a screwdriver to shove in between the grip and the handlebar, and then a shot of WD40. It slipped right off after that :D
Thing is, even though I cleaned the handlebars, my new grip (on the non-throttle side) feels a bit like it could perhaps one day slip off. I really don't want that to happen on a hot day at over 100kph, so my question is this:....

Is there a way when putting on new grips to ensure they can't slip around and will stay on?
I was thinking of using a bit of Lock-Tight smeared on the chrome handlebars perhaps before the grip was slipped on?
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates

Michelle
What Virago you Own: 1988 XV400 Virago

Re: How to put on new handle-grips

Post by Michelle » Sun May 26, 2019 12:58 am

OMG! Amazing tip. If you use WD40 to slip off your old grips then wash carefully with a degreaser before you put them back on or put on new grips.

The proper way (amazing tip). Use hairspray rather than WD40. Hairspray acts as a lubricant when wet and as a glue when it dries. Spray copious amounts into your grip before easily slipping it onto the handlebars. Let dry. Done :D
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: How to put on new handle-grips

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue May 28, 2019 6:22 am

Michelle wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:58 am
OMG! Amazing tip. If you use WD40 to slip off your old grips then wash carefully with a degreaser before you put them back on or put on new grips.

The proper way (amazing tip). Use hairspray rather than WD40. Hairspray acts as a lubricant when wet and as a glue when it dries. Spray copious amounts into your grip before easily slipping it onto the handlebars. Let dry. Done :D
Thanks Michelle, good to know!!

Probably holds hair in place, too. :D
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)