Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

1995 XV1100 stumbling, failing at low RPM and popping

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV1100? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

EricksonSouza
What Virago you Own:

Re: 1995 XV1100 stumbling, failing at low RPM and popping

Post by EricksonSouza » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:46 pm

ViragoJoe wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:49 pm
Previous owner must have changed the retaining bolts for the carburetors from hex to Allen bolts.

"The mechanic swore to me that he adjusted the valve clearance to the factory standard, but I no longer believe in him. Is it possible for the virago to have these types of stumbles because of poor regulation of valves?"

Yes, tight valves can cause misfires. Loose valves are less of a problem, however, too loose can cause damage between the valve stem and the tappet adjuster. Not to forget to mention the engine will be much noisier.

Check the clearances, it won't take that long to do.

Adjusting Virago Valves
https://www.viragohelp.com/virago-owner ... go-valves/

CRANKSHAFT NUT ACCESS FOR VALVE ADJUSTMENTS ETC. [INFO]
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=805
Thank you! I'll do that.
Right now i'm fixing the starting motor (mine was terrible), so after that i'll check de valve clearance. Its kinda my only hope. I have no idea what is the problem, but I have this feel that it's something with the valves.

Thanks for the help!!

I confess that I am getting discouraged a bit of the bike, because here where I live anything for this bike is very expensive, or difficult to find, and this discourages a lot. Not to mention that it is my only means of transportation (I dont have a car or another bike). I think I was unlucky because my virago suffered a little at the hands of the former owner.
About the allen bolts, here where I live (Brazil) it's everywhere, allen bolts are really easy to find, in all specs.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:12 pm

"Right now I'm fixing the starting motor (mine was terrible)"

Eric,
What seems to be the problem with your starter? What is it doing that doesn't seem to be normal?

Once we get that taken care of first. Then we'll work on correcting the other issues.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

EricksonSouza
What Virago you Own:

Post by EricksonSouza » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:56 pm

ViragoJoe wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:12 pm
"Right now I'm fixing the starting motor (mine was terrible)"

Eric,
What seems to be the problem with your starter? What is it doing that doesn't seem to be normal?

Once we get that taken care of first. Then we'll work on correcting the other issues.
Well, I was riding the bike even with the flaws and gaggins. However, since I got the bike, I noticed that her starting is a bit heavy. And sometimes, after walking a few miles and the engine gets a little warm, she has trouble turning on.
The feel is exactly the same as when the battery is low. However my battery is new. The oil light flashes while pressing start, it tries to turn on but can not. The starter motor gets really hot, then I have to wait a bit and then she start.
The heavy start I have noticed since always, but not starting is not common and happened just a few times (95% of the time its starts normal).

After opening the starting motor I realized that a piece of it had broken, and it was turning loosely, which caused uneven wear of the brushes.
I bought a new starting motor from a guy who also has virago and had some spare parts, and I'm waiting for the delivery to arrive. It's not a new one, but it seems to be in better condition than mine (believe it or not, a new one directly with yamaha costs the equivalent of SIX Brazilian minimum wages, in dollars would cost around 1500 dollars. It costs almost half of a virago 1100 here, almost the price of a 250 or 535) At the moment I'm cleaning the gears and taking a look at the stator conditions, to see if everything is ok.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:44 pm

Eric,
Go easy on the starter button. Prolonged starting can do this:

"Prolonged Hard Starting (Cranking) " Catastrophic Affects - Virago 1100 [INFO.]
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=833
ViragoJoe
;)

Yogi4
What Virago you Own: '92 Virago XV750D

Post by Yogi4 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:38 pm

I just wanted to put it out there since our intake manifold boot bolts are hard to get to and just a pain in the a#@, I'm switching bolts to an Allen head bolt. I just got back from Lowes and threaded it in and it works!! The size is M6-1.00 X 20. Each package contains two bolts and are about $2.75 a package. It's a #5 Allen head just like the rest of the bike.
Attachments
CarbBolt2.jpg
"May the good news be yours!" - Les Nessman

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Yogi4 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:38 pm
I just wanted to put it out there since our intake manifold boot bolts are hard to get to and just a pain in the a#@, I'm switching bolts to an Allen head bolt. I just got back from Lowes and threaded it in and it works!! The size is M6-1.00 X 20. Each package contains two bolts and are about $2.75 a package. It's a #5 Allen head just like the rest of the bike.
Same screw size that holds the Regulator/Rectifier to the Left Passenger Foot Peg Bracket (M6-1.00 X 20MM).

That is, if you want to change them to Hex Head screws. I did when my Reg/Rec died and I replaced it. Hexes are easier to torque tight than the Japanese J.I.S Phillip Heads. If you don't have J.I.S. screws drives makes removal and reassembly much harder.
ViragoJoe
;)