Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Disabling the AIS [CLOSED]

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV1100? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

stuchele
What Virago you Own: 1992 Virago XV1100

Disabling the AIS [CLOSED]

Post by stuchele » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:39 pm

I have look through the forum and I have found bits and pieces of the process, but the pictures were not very clear. I want to just disable the AIS to see if this will reduce the cracking/popping/backfire on decel. Does anyone have a you tube video, or a clearer pictures and the step by step process. I have a 1992 1100 Virago, with Vance & Hines pipes.

choppin
Platinum Star Member
Platinum Star Member
What Virago you Own: 1982 XV 920
2004 XL 883 Sportster
1984 XV 700

Re: Disabling the AIS

Post by choppin » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:16 pm

All you have to do is pull the hose's and cap off the ports.

stuchele

Post by stuchele » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:48 pm

Pull hoses off the AIS? Below is a picture of a removed AIS look at photo #3. Would I just disconnect and plug the three black lines? The one black line on the black box and the two others connected to the chrome lines?

Should I put a hose on the AIS and loop it back into itself?

[img]http://www.viragotech.com/fixit/AISREMOVALANDTEXT.jpg[/img]

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:19 am

stuchele,
Adjusting the valves and synchronizing the carburetors pretty much eliminated the deceleration back firing for me. Back fires once every so often. However, not enough to count on one hand. But, I am still using standard exhaust. You are running straight pipes and that does make a difference.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

stuchele

Post by stuchele » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:02 pm

Joe,

I had it at the dealer and they did all that carb work. It has some crackling on acceleration at low RPM and it pops on decel. I did look at the pipe that connects to the muffler, and adjusted the clamp. There was a little soot where the pipes go together. I just want it not to do any of this and it has been very frustrating getting to where the bike is now. Just do not know what to try anymore.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:07 am

stuchele wrote:Joe,

I had it at the dealer and they did all that carb work. It has some crackling on acceleration at low RPM and it pops on decel. I did look at the pipe that connects to the muffler, and adjusted the clamp. There was a little soot where the pipes go together. I just want it not to do any of this and it has been very frustrating getting to where the bike is now. Just do not know what to try anymore.
Take a look at this link. It may help:
http://viragohelp.com/virago-owners-clu ... ackfiring/
ViragoJoe
;)

stuchele

Post by stuchele » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:56 pm

Joe,

Thanks and I did see that. After I disabled the AIS I drained the tank and put 93 in it. Still had the same issue. Not sure why the short reach plugs would fix that.

I did check the vacuum on the carbs and they seemed to be slightly off. I made a homemade manometer.

I am not sure if I did this correctly. On the front carb, I put "T" and hooked up my meter and the vac line to the pressure sensor. Rear just plugged in the meter. I tried to make the "T" the same diameter as the port on the carb. I had to get a universal "T", they did not have one that all the side were the same size. The fluid level was off and I got it very close.

I removed the 4 way connector and compared it to the "T" I bought and the holes look about the same size. I ran the pressure sensor line directly into the front carb.

I had a hell of a time getting the ATF to settle in the manometer. I finally gave up and put water in with red food coloring. Once it settled I checked the bike, but it had some bubbles in it. I saw someone used stabil, so I am going to clean out the tubing and try that.

I am also going to check the torque on the front header. The dealer worked on that. I checked my plugs the other day and I swear they were only finger tight.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:07 pm

One carburetor has to be totally isolated from the other to synchronize properly.

See my write up here:
http://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=237

Pick up vacuum restricters from an auto parts store to place in the lines of your manometer to stop the fluid from bouncing. 2 cyl oil, ATF, or Stabil is okay. I would stay away from using water and coloring. Just in case you suck it into carbs and engine. Water is heavier and will settle in your carb float bowls adding to more issues. Always, keep your hand on the key or kill switch in case the fluid starts moving to one of the carbs until you can adjust sync screw to where it dosen't happen.
ViragoJoe
;)

stuchele

Post by stuchele » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:03 pm

I believe that is the way I did it. I disabled the AIS so on the 4 way T the AIS and the rear carb connections were plugged. I put a T on the front carb and connected the pressure sensor and the meter.

On the rear carb the port to the 4 way T was capped, and the other port was on the meter.

Did I do it correctly?

I will drain the float bowls tonight.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:28 pm

stuchele wrote:I believe that is the way I did it. I disabled the AIS so on the 4 way T the AIS and the rear carb connections were plugged. I put a T on the front carb and connected the pressure sensor and the meter.

On the rear carb the port to the 4 way T was capped, and the other port was on the meter.

Did I do it correctly?

I will drain the float bowls tonight.
Did you suck fluid in from the manometer?
Hard to tell how you did it without pictures of what you have done.

Joe
ViragoJoe
;)