Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

float adjustment [CLOSED]

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV1100? Post it here!
sprintman111
What Virago you Own: 86 XV1100

float adjustment [CLOSED]

Post by sprintman111 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:28 pm

All the instructions I read in the various Virago forums and in the Clymer manual show the float level being checked with the carbs on the bike with all sorts of right angle screw drivers and sawed off allen wrenches used to get the bowls off to reset the floats if not set right the first time.
Is there any reason float setting can't be done with the carbs on the bench [off the bike]?Gas could be put into the carbs where the fuel line goes in and then the float level could be observed in the usual manner. If it needs to be reset the carbs would not have to be pulled from the bike again or not have to go thru contortions to pull the bowls off.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: float adjustment

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:00 am

Take a look at these Videos they should help you setting floats off the bike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj220oY26Yo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wg3VJ1STSM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiexehn33kg

Carburetor removal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9TZOLgop3I

Carburetor Fuel Float Level off the bike:
Yepper, I would say it can be done.
Float Bowl Fuel Level Virago 1100.jpg
With Measurements Float Bowl Fuel Level Virago.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

sprintman111

Post by sprintman111 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:32 pm

Joe, Very informative videos and thanks for posting them. But the Virago floats don't have those options. We are supposed to use the clear fuel line on the outside of the carb body. I'm trying to determine if this can be done with the carbs on the bench. Not mounted in the bike where it is a hassle to remove the carbs or float bowls to make adjustments.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:07 pm

If you can determine what the angle the carbs are when on the bike Then I don't see any reason that it can't be done on the bench. Off hand, I don't know what that angle is.

The angle information should be available somewhere. At present it escapes me. We can both research this and then let each other know when found.
ViragoJoe
;)

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:53 am

John,
I added a video on carburetor removal and fuel float level to my previous post. From what I see in the video the carburetors look pretty level to me. So, I really don't see any issue with doing all the carburetor work on the bench to set float height and checking with the plastic tube to the float bowl seam for fuel level.

Hope this helps. Let us know, how it goes.
ViragoJoe
;)

The_Proletariat
What Virago you Own: 1982 Kawasaki KZ550

Post by The_Proletariat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:02 pm

Why do you suspect a float level issue? This should not change unless you have replaced or messed with the float needles in some way.

aldo5468
What Virago you Own: 1994 XV1100F Virago, 1982 Yamaha XS650SJ Heritage Special

Post by aldo5468 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:44 pm

You can test float level shutoff on both sides with the carbs on the bike, but if it's off spec on the right carb (at least for Mikunis; I have no experience with the earlier Hitachis), the carbs have to come off the bike to make any adjustment - it's not possible to remove the bowl (and thus the float) from the right-hand Mikuni on the bike. To bench test, you just need to find a way to hold the carbs firmly in bike position and level side-to-side and provide gas to the inlet barbs. If one test shows proper float shutoff level, make sure to test a couple more times to ensure consistency before re-installing on your bike. Check to ensure that all inside surfaces of the carb bowls are very clean and smooth - I had trouble awhile back with intermittent float hang-up on my right-hand carb - smoothed off some casting roughness on one side of the carb bowl with fine sandpaper and then steel wool; problem solved.
'94 XV1100, Mustang seat, V&H pipes, K&N air cleaner, 125 rr and 127.5 frt mains, Kuryakyn Iso-grips, Mapam/Restyling forward controls, Star mirror stems, 7" headlight, Slipstreamer Hellfire windshield, XV700 wire wheels, VDO voltmeter, FZ1 master cylinder, XJ650 clutch perch

sprintman111

Post by sprintman111 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:42 pm

My floats on my 86 xv1100 are OK now. Just wondering bc I was looking at a new Virago project that I might buy and may have to go thru it all again.
The problem on my bike turned out to be gas logged floats! After much dicking around we found that the floats would hold position initially but would then gradually sink down and flood the carbs. Bought some new ones on ebay and that fixed the problem.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:54 am

How to repair a brass gas logged float:

This guy is a little long winded. He could have condensed all this in a much shorter video like 90 seconds. I think he just likes to talk and he talks slow. So, try to stay awake.

The information is good however:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJmmbvTqFTA
ViragoJoe
;)

Meason
What Virago you Own:

Re: float adjustment [CLOSED]

Post by  Meason » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:04 am

Why do you suspect a float level issue? This should not change unless you have replaced or messed with the float needles in some way.