☆This time I personally need your help....☆
This was a tough decision to decide on. I generally stay behind the scenes keeping this site chugging along. Joe, is the one that gives out the amazing wealth of knowledge he has. I've put an amazing amount of time into the bringing together this website and not to mention have footed the bills a few times. I've kept us hacker free for a damn long time. I never ask much of you guy/gals. Only if we get in crunch time and the site needs a little help. Ive never asked for the ridiculous thousands I have seen another site ask for.. ridiculous is the perfect word. I even removed ads for those that log in, severely cutting revenue. Sites been about helping people, not making money. I feel bad actually doing this.. but I need help. I have gastroparesis brought on from diabetes(20+ years). I've been struggling with this nightmare for over 3 years. Finally diagnosed beginning this year. Look it up. Look up worst cases... that's me. Ive lost 60 lbs since January. 28 days ago the company I've worked for for many years found their dirty lil way to fire me. I was approved for up to 3 days off a week for fmla.. that really pissed them off. So illegally fired, savings drained from medical bills, bad diabetic now with no insurance. I'm in deep shit. That is politely saying it unfortunately. If any of you guys cant help please at least keep me in your thoughts. If this was wrong, me asking for help, my apologies. I'm declining in health fast, and unemployment hasn't came through yet and that in itself is a nightmare. Anyone who can, please donate to the website. This time it goes to help me. Thank you everyone. Again, my apologies for asking. I honestly don't know what to do or where to turn.
Rob *This message can be dismissed by hovering over the upper right corner of it and X should appear. click that.*
UPDATE: THERE HAS ALREADY BEEN A FEW OF YOU DONATING. THANK YOU SO MUCH, I'M LITERALLY IN TEARS AS I TYPE THIS. EVERY PENNY COUNTS. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING THE HEROES RIGHT NOW.

Dyno jet kit review

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV1100? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Ironforger
What Virago you Own: 1992 XV1100 7k miles

Dyno jet kit review

Post by Ironforger » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:58 pm

92 XV1100, 7,400 k miles

Hey guys,

I rebuilt my carbs and also installed the Dyno jet kit (I used the #110 main jets that come with the kit).

Overall so far I'm VERY impressed.

Before installing the Dynojet kit, my bike seemed to be running very rich, and it was not running smooth in the low rpm rage (0 to 1/4 turn throttle). The upper RPM ranges (1/4 to 3/4 turn throttle) seemed ok, but realistically I had nothing to compare that to until I installed the dynojet kit.

Now it runs VERY clean and crisp/smooth in the lower RPM range, and cracking that throttle hard beyond 1/4 turn produces an immediate clean and powerful response. Much better than the previous factory jetting! (factory jets are 125 for the front cyl, and 122 for the rear cyl.)
Torque seems better on the low end too.

I put in new spark plugs when I installed the dynojet kit. Haven't put enough miles on it yet to read the plugs, I'll report my findings after a couple hundred miles. it was running horribly rich previously, I'm hoping it's a bit more lean now.
1992 XV1100 7k miles

Gvozdeni
What Virago you Own: XV1100 (1993)

Re: Dyno jet kit review

Post by Gvozdeni » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:49 pm

Hello, so you used #110 to replace both factory jets?
(sorry for asking - i'm not into jetting at all...)

What's in the kit - is this correct?

2 Main Jet DJ110
2 Main Jet DJ114
2 Fuel Needle DNT721
2 Adjusting Washer DW0001
2 E-clips DE0001
1 Plug Drill DD #5/32
1 Screw DS0001

Ironforger

Post by Ironforger » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:08 am

Gvozdeni wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:49 pm
Hello, so you used #110 to replace both factory jets?
(sorry for asking - i'm not into jetting at all...)

Gvozdeni,

Yes, that parts list looks correct. I used the #110 main jets supplied with the kit as well as the supplied proprietary needles for BOTH front and rear carburetors. (FYI, the dynojet needles look completely different from the stock needles. The dynojet needles are thinner with an elegant finely machined taper. The stock needles are blunt by comparison.

My Virago is running REALLY great now. I've owned it for just over a year, and I can now say I'm finally enjoying this motorcycle. Although I don't have other Viragos to compare to, all I can say is my bike was not running great before installing that dynojet kit. Now it is. True, I can say that my Virago has always had good low end tourqe, but now the low end torque is much improved and I can get that bike rolling and putter around on low rpms. And when it's time to open that throttle, yea. Immediate hard hitting powerful response. It sounds different too. Hard to describe. It's kinda like each cylinder firing is more pronounced. Cleaner burn? Like previously it was a .22 caliber pop. Now it's a 12 guage shotgun POW.
I'm very satisficed with it and tempted to "leave as is" without tweaking, but I'm going to do the right thing, next step is synchronizing the carbs. I pulled the plugs yesterday too, after about 20 miles riding. Front one was clean, rear was partially carbonized black / partially clean. I don't know why the rear one was carbonized. It's not fouled, but I think I'm going to change it anyway and check again after 50 miles or so, just to rule out the possibility of previous remaining sludge in the cyl from when it was running shitty and super rich. I think I'm going to try to check my float bowl levels too, & verify if both are the same & not too rich etc. I'll use a see through plastic hose bent up from the drain tube. Does anyone know how high that level should be on the clear hose if looking at it sideways towards the bowl? Any level reference points to go by on the side of the carb/bowl?

Thanks
1992 XV1100 7k miles

crimsondragon
What Virago you Own:

Post by crimsondragon » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:01 pm

Do you have any other mods? There's a reason why the front and rear carbs have different jets. I would stick with the stock jet on the rear. Maybe swap it to the 125 from the front, if the plug looks too lean on the rear. Most bikes are tuned extra lean from the factory for emissions anyway.

Ironforger

Post by Ironforger » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:22 am

crimsondragon wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:01 pm
Do you have any other mods? There's a reason why the front and rear carbs have different jets. I would stick with the stock jet on the rear. Maybe swap it to the 125 from the front, if the plug looks too lean on the rear. Most bikes are tuned extra lean from the factory for emissions anyway.
Crimsondragon: No other mods except for a free flow foam air filter.

Appreciate your comments. Certainly was aware of the stock jetting (Rear 122.5 , front 125).

I am not going back to the stock jetting and needles. The bike is running WAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY better (seriously, like way freakin better with the dynojet kit.)

I will post updates once I have enough miles to get a good read on the plugs. But first, my next step will be to synchronize the carbs.
1992 XV1100 7k miles

crimsondragon
What Virago you Own:

Post by crimsondragon » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:06 am

Let me know how it goes. I have the dynojet on mine as well with DJ114. I'm still in the process of getting it running but preliminary inspection of the plugs looks like it's running good at the rear, maybe a little rich in the front. Only mods are some sort of aftermarket exhaust and air cutoff delete.