1997 XV1100 Positive battery terminal lead fix and question (Tampa Bay FL)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV1100? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Kotkinjs1
What Virago you Own:

1997 XV1100 Positive battery terminal lead fix and question (Tampa Bay FL)

Post by Kotkinjs1 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:01 pm

I need to repair the positive terminal lead on my battery cable and also soon figured out the whole positive cable was some previous owner crappy attempt at "something." There's a twist on wire connector, bad heat shrink, fraying insulation. Instead of just fixing the terminal end I'd like to replace the whole positive lead cable.

Looking at parts diagrams for the 1100 (1997) and the wiring diagram the cable (I think the part number is "42H-82115-01-00 Wire, Plus Lead") goes from the battery and has one split to the connector under the seat to the main fuse and the other end goes to the starter relay.

My question is, is that relay all the way up front by the starter itself? I try to follow the thick cable under the engine a bit and it seems to go in that direction. It's really one long cable with an ring loop at the end? I can't find that part on ebay - all the used positive cables with that split are much much shorter (like the attached). Can any one of those work from any engine size Virago? Please help!.....Bike's down until I can fix this.

Click Image to Enlarge and Correct Orientation:
20220112_221946.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1997 XV1100 Positive battery terminal lead fix and question (Tampa Bay FL)

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:25 am

Kotkinjs1 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:01 pm
I need to repair the positive terminal lead on my battery cable and also soon figured out the whole positive cable was some previous owner crappy attempt at "something." There's a twist on wire connector, bad heat shrink, fraying insulation. Instead of just fixing the terminal end I'd like to replace the whole positive lead cable.

Looking at parts diagrams for the 1100 (1997) and the wiring diagram the cable (I think the part number is "42H-82115-01-00 Wire, Plus Lead") goes from the battery and has one split to the connector under the seat to the main fuse and the other end goes to the starter relay.

My question is, is that relay all the way up front by the starter itself? I try to follow the thick cable under the engine a bit and it seems to go in that direction. It's really one long cable with an ring loop at the end? I can't find that part on ebay - all the used positive cables with that split are much much shorter (like the attached). Can any one of those work from any engine size Virago? Please help!.....Bike's down until I can fix this.

Click Image to Enlarge and Correct Orientation:

20220112_221946.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
Kotkinjs1,

You are correct with your assumption regarding the Part number wire and lead.

This Wiring Diagram may help you to sort things out and determine what goes where.

Click Image to Enlarge and/or Download and Print Copy:
86_96_us_XV1100 Wiring Dia w-Detail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.