Things look bleak. If anyone can donate please do. Thanks everyone. Im trying to scrape up funds..... only month to go.
Rob

1996 XV1100 Yuasa Battery Life Span - Update

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV1100? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

1996 XV1100 Yuasa Battery Life Span - Update

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:57 am

Well Folks,

This will be my 13th riding season with the same Yuasa YTX24HL-BS (21 Ah) (350 CCA) AGM Battery.

Two days ago, I took my bikes battery off life support (Trickle Charger) $5.00 unit, from Harbor Freight.

This morning prior to putting the battery back into my iron maiden. I took a meter reading of the batteries voltage health.

I am pleased to announce after sitting for two days the surface charge has dissipated leaving a sustained voltage reading of 12.9 volts which is exceptional for a 13 year old battery. New wet cell batteries maintain 12.6 volts and AGM's usually a little more around 12.8 volts. So, you can understand my excitement to have it register 12.9 volts after being 13 years old!!

Click Image to Enlarge:
YUASA BATTERY YTX24HL-BS.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If this website was helpful, please consider donating.

Remember: It's Free to use - but not free to run - make a contribution to support the site, or it may not be here after Feb., 2023!

ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Re: 1996 XV1100 Yuasa Battery Life Span - Update

Post by jsyzdek » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:33 am

right on!

Self-discharge and hard sulfatation are the primary killers of these bricks.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1996 XV1100 Yuasa Battery Life Span - Update

Post by ViragoJoe » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:11 am

UT OH!! Another Update.

Well Boys and Girls,

After all my excitement with the 12.9 volts reading. It was inevitable, my 13 year old battery in the Virago gave up the ghost yesterday. Showed 12.9 volts with the multimeter. Hit the starter button and the total bike went dead (not a light on) after one big click of the starter. No signs of any life after that. Checked battery again 12.9 volts. Hmmm!

Glad I have a battery load tester. She had darn near no strength at all on the gauge, when I pressed the load button. I wasn't satisfied with that, so I placed the load tester on my cars battery. It gave a good strength reading. So, yes indeed my 13 year old bike battery has met with the electronic battery genie in the sky. Ouch! Now I have to buy another battery. I guess, I can't complain too much. It is 13 years old :!: :lol: :roll: :oops:
If this website was helpful, please consider donating.

Remember: It's Free to use - but not free to run - make a contribution to support the site, or it may not be here after Feb., 2023!

ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!