1992 XV1100 Charging System Issue (Santa Ana, CA)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV1100? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

ZBuser93
What Virago you Own: 1992 Virago XV1100DC

1992 XV1100 Charging System Issue (Santa Ana, CA)

Post by ZBuser93 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:34 am

A while back my battery stopped charging so I went and got a new stator and regulator/rectifier. the latter was just for good measure, and I found both for cheap on ebay. Installed the new parts, and all seemed well for several months until one of the filaments blew out on my flasher bulb (the DRL filament) {Daytime Running Lamp} filament. I didn't think much of it since i wasn't riding the bike much anyways and then the headlight went out on me on the freeway. switched the brights on and got home safely (also got some strange looks from other motorists lol). So I replaced the headlight (though I definitely should have suspected something bigger at this point) and the next time i rode the bike the headlight blew in seconds, then the high beam did the same. Now i had finally clued in that something was wrong, and I suspected the new cheap rectifier was the problem, so I put in the old rectifier (feeling like an idiot for having fixed what wasn't broken) and replaced both bulbs and all was well for a while. Then one day the damn bike wouldn't start again. So I put the battery on the charger and when it was charged I started the bike and checked the voltage at the battery with the engine running at 2,000RPM as the Clymer manual says. its only at like 13 or 13.5V. So this time I start checking stuff with my multimeter instead of just assuming that the stator needs to be replaced. Everything checks out- the stator is good, not shorted to ground and has the appropriate resistance in each coil. The rectifier forward and backward bias tests are fine. Then I tested the rectifier that I though for sure was faulty, and even its ok! The battery is only a year old, but I did the multimeter version of a load test and it only went down to about 10.5V after being fully charged. My next guess is that the rotor could have somehow lost magnetism. I've only had this bike a year and I can tell it has definitely been dropped before it got to me. Is there a way to test the voltage AC coming out of the stator? That should indicate the health of the rotor, no?

I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer. I'm pretty confused.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1992 XV1100 Charging System Issue (Santa Ana, CA)

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:24 am

ZBuser93 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:34 am
A while back my battery stopped charging so I went and got a new stator and regulator/rectifier. the latter was just for good measure, and I found both for cheap on ebay. Installed the new parts, and all seemed well for several months until one of the filaments blew out on my flasher bulb (the DRL filament) {Daytime Running Lamp} filament. I didn't think much of it since i wasn't riding the bike much anyways and then the headlight went out on me on the freeway. switched the brights on and got home safely (also got some strange looks from other motorists lol). So I replaced the headlight (though I definitely should have suspected something bigger at this point) and the next time i rode the bike the headlight blew in seconds, then the high beam did the same. Now i had finally clued in that something was wrong, and I suspected the new cheap rectifier was the problem, so I put in the old rectifier (feeling like an idiot for having fixed what wasn't broken) and replaced both bulbs and all was well for a while. Then one day the damn bike wouldn't start again. So I put the battery on the charger and when it was charged I started the bike and checked the voltage at the battery with the engine running at 2,000RPM as the Clymer manual says. its only at like 13 or 13.5V. So this time I start checking stuff with my multimeter instead of just assuming that the stator needs to be replaced. Everything checks out- the stator is good, not shorted to ground and has the appropriate resistance in each coil. The rectifier forward and backward bias tests are fine. Then I tested the rectifier that I though for sure was faulty, and even its ok! The battery is only a year old, but I did the multimeter version of a load test and it only went down to about 10.5V after being fully charged. My next guess is that the rotor could have somehow lost magnetism. I've only had this bike a year and I can tell it has definitely been dropped before it got to me. Is there a way to test the voltage AC coming out of the stator? That should indicate the health of the rotor, no?

I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer. I'm pretty confused.
==========================================

ZBuser,
Is there a way to test the voltage AC coming out of the stator? That should indicate the health of the rotor, no?
Yes.

#1 How to test a motorcycle stator
"Manuals give resistance tests for the stator. I think it is best to do these tests when the stator is hot, since sometimes coils can test O.K. cold, but develop shorts when they get hot."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v2LtHlvcqI

How To Test a 3 Phase Regulator/Rectifier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2jWIkhy1fo&t=315s

Virago Charging Systems

https://www.viragohelp.com/virago-charging-systems/

Virago Battery

https://www.viragohelp.com/virago-battery/

1992 XV1100 Rotor / stator low a/c charge and not charging (Canada) [CLOSED UNSOLVED]

viewtopic.php?t=1271
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location & Bike Information.
It will aid us in assisting you!