1992 XV1100 Oil Type (U.S.A.)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV1100? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Ironforger
What Virago you Own: 1992 XV1100 7k miles

1992 XV1100 Oil Type (U.S.A.)

Post by Ironforger » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:26 pm

ViragoJoe wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:10 am
don't use 10W40 Synthetic oils.

I use the old faithful Dinosaur juice from the ground. Since you can no longer get 20W40 type SG oil, due to becoming absolute. I use this which is the closest to 20W40. My oil doesn't stay in the bike long enough to break down or get dirty to merit using synthetic. Frequent oil changes is what keeps the engine longevity going. No dirt particles to wear away parts. Plus synthetic is a tad rich for my blood. For what you pay for 1 gallon of synthetic I can get 3 gals of normal 15W40 engine oil.

15W40 formulated for Diesel Engines is what I use. Every 1500 miles or so, I dump the oil and replace in fresh 15W40 plus filter. Also, it has 1200 ppm of ZDDP that is good for flat tappet engines that our Virago's have.
Good info ViragoJoe. Which 15w40 dino diesel oil are you using? Is it the rottella by chance? Glad to hear it's 1200ppm ZDDP. Would love to know what brand you are using. I'm conventional dino diesel Rotella 15w40 in my 02 dodge Cummins diesel, would be great if I could use the same oil in my 1100 virago!

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1992 XV1100 Oil Type (U.S.A.)

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:09 am

Ironforger wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:26 pm
ViragoJoe wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:10 am
don't use 10W40 Synthetic oils.

I use the old faithful Dinosaur juice from the ground. Since you can no longer get 20W40 type SG oil, due to becoming absolute. I use this which is the closest to 20W40. My oil doesn't stay in the bike long enough to break down or get dirty to merit using synthetic. Frequent oil changes is what keeps the engine longevity going. No dirt particles to wear away parts. Plus synthetic is a tad rich for my blood. For what you pay for 1 gallon of synthetic I can get 3 gals of normal 15W40 engine oil.

15W40 formulated for Diesel Engines is what I use. Every 1500 miles or so, I dump the oil and replace in fresh 15W40 plus filter. Also, it has 1200 ppm of ZDDP that is good for flat tappet engines that our Virago's have.
Good info ViragoJoe. Which 15w40 dino diesel oil are you using? Is it the rottella by chance? Glad to hear it's 1200ppm ZDDP. Would love to know what brand you are using. I'm conventional dino diesel Rotella 15w40 in my 02 dodge Cummins diesel, would be great if I could use the same oil in my 1100 virago!
Ironforger,

I've moved your topic to be on its own rather than in the Netherlands topic.

Yup, Same stuff Rotella 15W40 Dino juice from the ground non-synthetic.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location.
It will aid us in assisting you!

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:00 am

Ironforger,

Additional information regarding oils:

OIL and ZDDP - FLAT TAPPET ENGINES [INFO]

https://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=616

Do not use any oils where the API Donut says:

"Energy Conserving", "Resource Conserving" or something similar. They contain high concentrations of Molybdenum additive in them and is really slippery stuff and is bad for Virago wet clutches!

Click Images to Enlarge:
API LABEL.jpg

API OIL TYPES-SA to SN.jpg

From XV1100 Owners Manual for Oil Viscosity based on Weather Temperatures:
15°C = 59°F.

OIL ROTELLA T4 10W30 AND 15W40 XV1100.png
Below information taken straight from Rotella:
Shell Rotella® T4 10W-30 heavy duty engine oil provides extreme protection in a lower viscosity grade.
Protects your bottom line with a lower viscosity that allows for less engine resistance for improved fuel economy compared to an SAE 15W-40

Rotella T4® 10W-30 provides:
Wear protection for longer engine life
Protection against deposits to help keep engines cleaner over the oil drain interval
Resistance to oil breakdown

ROTELLA 10W30 t4-10w-30-1.pdf
ROTELLA 15W40 t4-15w-40.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

gusll
What Virago you Own: XV750G 1995 Virago

Post by gusll » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:57 pm

ViragoJoe,

What do you think then about Yamalube SAE 20W-50? Is it too thick?
Riding is great, riding with a friend is better.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:08 am

gusll wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:57 pm
ViragoJoe,

What do you think then about Yamalube SAE 20W-50? Is it too thick?
gusll,

Hmmm, good question.

Don't know not being a Petroleum Engineer. I do find it odd that Yamalube comes in 10W40 and 20W50. Yet, they don't produce 20W40, go figure. Not sure what bikes in the Yamaha's lineup specifies 20W50. I have no idea, do you?

Well, if that were the only oil available, I would be forced to use Yamalube 20W50. However, since Yamaha specifies 20W40 in their owners manual for Virago's and 20W stands for the Winter Viscosity and I don't ride in the Winter. And 40 is the Viscosity for Summer. I'm leaning more toward 15W40. Stay as close to specs as possible, but that's me.

Others may have different views and opinions. When speaking oil, that my friend, can really open up a big can of worms. Everyone has their own thoughts and opinion on what is best to use. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm no Petroleum Engineer. With that being said, I'll have to leave the decision in your capable hands about using Yamalube 20W50 in your Virago.

Just an added note: Heavier Viscosity oils can and will affect mileage. XV1100's are mileage challenged as it is. Just say'n.

Approximately 350cc's difference from an XV1100 and your XV750.
Fuel tank capacities XV750 3.2 Gal., XV1100 4.4 Gal.

Just saw on their Technical Details. Vehicle Service Type: ATV's, Scooters (Are Virago's considered scooters?)
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

gusll
What Virago you Own: XV750G 1995 Virago

Post by gusll » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:18 pm

ViragoJoe,
to my surprise I found that Yamalube Mineral oil 20w40 is available in Mexico, it is actually manufactured here. I was told by yamaha dealer tha due to covid, it was sold out, now available.
Click Image to Enlarge:
yamalube 20w40.jpg
around $5USD per liter, quite affordable.

Due to the kind of oil you use that is ment to be used in diesel trucks (as I understood, correct me if I'm wrong), I did some youtube research, and as you said, Myself not beeing a Dino juice engineer, found that one of the main reasons motocycle oil is different from cars oil are some additives they incorporate to the mix, that helps among other thinks to reduce wear out in the clutch, by improving grip among plates to reduce the loss of power transmited to the rear wheel.

I share with you this link, unfortunately is in spanish, but you can always use subtitles, where this guy explains that Japanese brands developed the JASO specs, to resolve this specific problem on older bikes, and Yamalube 20w50, 20w40 produced here, meets de JASO specs and is rated MA: min 6:50 - 9:00 aprox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnOG63EzE1c

Must confess, I had no idea :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Riding is great, riding with a friend is better.

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Post by jsyzdek » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:48 pm

Joe: a can of worms it can be indeed.

I personally use semi-synthetic motorcycle oil (Castrol) that is 10W-40. When Virago was first developed, there were no oils like we have today, e.g. 0W-20 or 5W-40 etc. They had a lot smaller spread and they had to work with it. Technically they could go back and test a few engines with modern oils and put out new recommendations, but Yamaha is not in business of solving issues with 30-40y old bikes that are discontinued. They are in business of selling new bikes.

My sports bike calls for 10W-40 and so if I buy a little drum of that stuff, I'll use it for my Virago as well. So far so good.

To the best of my knowledge Joe puts a fair amount of miles on his bike and Rotella serves him well. If I start riding a lot more than I do now and the cost of buying the semi-synthetic starts bothering me: I might switch. As of now, I do about 2k miles in a year and so I get two seasons on each oil change, and you technically should replace the oil every year...

Another story I can recall here, that speaks to Joe's point about mileage. My wife's Hyundai Elantra is 17y old with 210k miles on it. From "high" to "low" mark on the dip stick it's 1L (just over 1qt) and the engine eats though this much oil in about 800 miles when I use the specified 5W-30 oil. I tried 20W-50 and it would last pretty good with just one refill between changes, but the gas mileage dropped from fair to terrible (~25 mpg to 18-19). After some trial and error I settled on 10W-40 (not the same as the bike oil ;) this one is for cars). It takes about 1600 miles to eat through a quart of it and the gas mileage is about 24mpg, just a tad less than the original oil.

I'd say: so long as it works, use whatever oil you have handy. I do think that 20W-50 is pretty heavy and you will get noticeably worse mileage. With the 10W-40 I get anywhere between 28 and 38mpg, depending how hard I push it. If I hold steady ~70-75mpg, with luggage (some extra drag) and windscreen, I get 35mpg.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:19 am

Well guys,

With Rotella 15W40 Dino Juice from the ground:

I guess I'm luckier than most. My average mileage is 43 MPG with a 50/50 split between Highway and Street riding.

The worst I've gotten was 38 MPG. Cuz, I was riding her hard.

The best was 50 MPG. I was light on the throttle and no Jack Rabbit starts.

Normal cruising mileage for me is 43 MPG. I'm more than happy with that!!

Now, I'm curious to see what I could get using Rotella 10W30. However, Yamaha Petroleum Engineer recommends that that viscosity usage is below 59°F. Not worth it for me to have 10W30 in the bike for roughly less than a month to dump and replace with 15W40 for above 59°F. I'll just settle for 43 MPG on average and call it good.

I keep a watchful eye on tire pressures as well. Valve clearances checked periodically. Carburetors are Synchronized ever spring along with Spark Plug changes. I've devised a method to Synchronized the Carburetors without removing air cleaner etc.. Just twist a valve to isolate the rear carburetor. Remove two Blind Vacuum Plugs, place on the manometer adjust Synchronizing screw if necessary. Takes less than 5 to 10 minutes and I'm on the road.

If you are interested on how to do this, click the below link.

DIY CARBURETOR SYNCHRONIZATION 1100cc EASY WAY

https://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=237
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:08 am

gusll wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:18 pm
ViragoJoe,
to my surprise I found that Yamalube Mineral oil 20w40 is available in Mexico, it is actually manufactured here. I was told by yamaha dealer tha due to covid, it was sold out, now available.
Click Image to Enlarge:
yamalube 20w40.jpg

around $5USD per liter, quite affordable.

Due to the kind of oil you use that is ment to be used in diesel trucks (as I understood, correct me if I'm wrong), I did some youtube research, and as you said, Myself not beeing a Dino juice engineer, found that one of the main reasons motocycle oil is different from cars oil are some additives they incorporate to the mix, that helps among other thinks to reduce wear out in the clutch, by improving grip among plates to reduce the loss of power transmited to the rear wheel.

I share with you this link, unfortunately is in spanish, but you can always use subtitles, where this guy explains that Japanese brands developed the JASO specs, to resolve this specific problem on older bikes, and Yamalube 20w50, 20w40 produced here, meets de JASO specs and is rated MA: min 6:50 - 9:00 aprox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnOG63EzE1c

Must confess, I had no idea :o
gusll,

I understand that JASO in 1998 developed a grading system for motorcycle oils. And have taken added steps to cover Friction Modifiers and wet clutches regarding oils https://www.whitedogbikes.com/whitedogb ... -ma2-mean/ .

In 1988 is when SG type oil that had ZDDP in it went obsolete. So, motorcycle owners through due diligence researched what oils they needed to satisfy their motorcycles requirements or suffer the consequences of engine wear and possibly a slipping clutch, due to the additive changes.

Motor Oil Additives and Modifiers Explained

https://motoroilbasics.com/motor-oil-modifiers.php

I haven't come across many oils that contain ZDDP additives today that our old Virago's require, due to the fact that they are Flat Tappet engines and require ZDDP additive. In the 14 years that I have had my XV1100 Virago. I've never had an issue with my clutch slipping using Rotella 15W40 Diesel oil. My concern is that the oil has ZDDP content to protect the Cam Lobes and the Flat Tappets from excessive wear. One of the reasons I opted to use Diesel specific oil. They have the required ZDDP formulated within them. It meets all of the Motorcycle grade oil requirements with a more palatable price tag than Motorcycle Specific Labeled Oils.

It is a riders (Virago Owners) responsibility to research in detail what their bikes requirements are. Make a choice what oil will work best in their bike and live with the outcome whether it be good or bad. One has to make a choice on what to use. My choice was Rotella 15W40 Diesel Oil and it has worked for me over the 14 years that I've owned my Virago.

Hopefully, others who have made different oil choices, have worked for them. If not, new Clutch Plates and/or Cams and Rocker Arm Tappets will be in their future. Like I've said, I'm not a Petroleum Engineer, but Rotella 15W40 has worked for me. I'm not suggesting that you use it. I'm just stating my experience with it and that it has worked for me. Like I said earlier. When talking about oils, that subject can really open up a can of worms!

I understand that Yamalube 20W40 is now available in Mexico, however, does it too contain the needed ZDDP additive required for older Yamaha Virago Motorcycles or for only newer Yamaha Motorcycles with different valve systems?
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL: