XV1100 SINGLE CARBURETOR CONVERSION [INFO.] (Houston, Texas)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV1100? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

gerry113377
What Virago you Own:

XV1100 SINGLE CARBURETOR CONVERSION [INFO.] (Houston, Texas)

Post by gerry113377 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:48 am

I have a single carb setup on my Virago, it's a 1994 XV1100. It took me a long time to figure it out. I actually had to go smaller with the carb. I started out bigger with a Mikuni HSR42. It was way too big. I'm now using a Mikuni TM36 pumper on a XV1100, so on a XV750 you might have to go TM33 pumper, but the TM36 might work. I would try the TM36 first then go smaller if needed. Make sure it's a pumper carb.

I also had to buy a programmable ignition and change the timing to a 1200 Sportster power curve because the stock curve wouldn't work with a single carb. For a XV750 you might need to go with a 883 Sportster power curve.

Also, the rear cylinder will run leaner than the front, with the programmable ignition you can correct the rear with less advance than the front to remove heat.

I have seen videos with the single carb setup on youtube but they never drive and get on it. My guess is most people don't get it right or they would post a video of them driving it.
Power Curves Gerry D Resizer_16164896275110.jpg
Power Curve Gerry D Resizer_16164896275111.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1lowrado
What Virago you Own:

Re: XV1100 SINGLE CARBURETOR CONVERSION [INFO.] (New Jersey)

Post by 1lowrado » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:40 pm

what tci are you running? mines been sitting for a few years now and I'm about ready to get working on it again. mine's not firing on the front cylinder. I'm going to check my valve clearance on that cylinder as that's the last thing I did was adjust the valves before swapping to a single carb.

gerry113377
What Virago you Own:

Re: XV1100 SINGLE CARBURETOR CONVERSION [INFO.] (Houston, Texas)

Post by gerry113377 » Fri May 07, 2021 5:22 am

I am running an IGNITECH ignition. I programmed it with a 1200 sportster power curve. That's the only way to go. The stock TCI wasn't made for a single carb. You might need the vacuum sensor and cable too, from ignitech also. I bought it, it wasn't that much. Use a carb mount that has a vacuum fitting for the sensor. I ended up using a TM33 pumper carb with a 130 or 132 main, the largest needle jet you can buy for that carb. Needle on the richest setting. I want to say a 20 pilot. You'll need to modify the throttle cable bracket, cut and weld but can use stock cables. I'm still tweeking it but it has some balls, not tons. But the main goal is a bike that's easily worked on, not more performance when switching to a single carb. I was running on one cylinder till I switched to a smaller carb, it was flooding. A TM36 might work better with the smallest needle jet and smallest needle performance wise but for now I'm happy with the TM33. I'll make a video when it's done 100%. Still working on a few things.