Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

1984 Virago 1000 dies after riding awhile [SOLVED]

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV1000? Post it here!
ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1984 Virago 1000 dies after riding awhile

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:55 am

ajsorvillo1883 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:03 pm
My apologies.

Yes it is a 84 xv1000!

I am using an agm type battery that was recommended by a local shop. Right now it's back on the trickle charger, but it's taking a very long time to charge. I did try taking it out for a ride earlier but only managed to get about .2 miles from home before it shut off after charging it fully. I used my emergency charger to jump it back to life and get it home. Definitely not pushing it 2.5 miles again like last night... she's fun but she's heavy.

I will check the regulator and rectifier to make certain that they are also working as intended.

My main problems have been with the fact that these are all the original parts, except for the ones that I've had to replace.

When I swapped out the starter clutch I did notice some heavy wear on the stator connection. But was hoping they'd last a bit longer.

I think the excess heat we've been having in Florida is not helping at all.
AJ,
Yup, heat is definitely a factor when it comes to Virago's. Especially, for the Regulator/Rectifier. Most prone to die of heat stroke!!

REGULATOR/RECTIFIER TROUBLE SHOOTING and TESTING [INFO] & NEW VERSION:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=772

Like I said, earlier. Take your battery to an auto parts store and have it load tested. I'm sure your battery is toast, if it is refusing to take a charge. Save yourself from having to push your Iron Maiden home. And yep, they are heavy! Hopefully, where you are . . . it is all flat roads. Any slight incline up hill is a killer when needing to push.

Stator connections really shouldn't show signs of wear much. Unless, it is showing signs of melting. I don't understand you saying heavy wear. It's tucked under the seat. Terminal corrosion possibly?!

Yes, original parts after 35 years would require replacing. Virago's are very robust, but Yamaha has made some mistakes along the way on how they designed some things. One weak link is the Reg/Rec. Heat is not its friend. Not just Yamaha, but most motorcycle manufactures. Why do they always mount them near a heat source, like the exhaust system? Go figure.

Some water cooled bikes place them mounted behind the radiator. Another, it makes no sense.

They should be manufactured with large heat sinks with active cooling (FANS). However, where do you mount them?
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit you profile to include YOUR LOCATION.
It will aid us in ASSISTING YOU! :!: CAPEESH? :?:

ajsorvillo1883
What Virago you Own:

Re: 1984 Virago 1000 dies after riding awhile

Post by ajsorvillo1883 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:30 pm

Welllllll.... fixed the issue....

After testing the battery, which there were no issues. And replacing the stator. I still had issues. So I checked the rectifier, that worked as it's supposed to.

Ended up tearing apart the carb again, third time mind you, cleaned it again. The intake had a huge amount of rust in it. So no fuel was getting in properly. Also swapped out the fuel filter. So then I drained out the fuel from the tank. Ran a small USB camera in there and found a ton of corrosion.

She's running again smoothly but I'm probably going to get a new tank sometime soon. I really don't think the previous owner was 100% upfront with how long she's sat before I bought it in June.

I did manage to get a small brass wheel in the tank to get out most of the egregious stuff, vacuumed, rinsed, and put fuel back in. Plus cleaned out the fuel lines...