1985 XV1000 Backfire at Idle (Alberta, Canada)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV1000? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

dwoodliffe
What Virago you Own: 1985 XV1000.

1985 XV1000 Backfire at Idle (Alberta, Canada)

Post by dwoodliffe » Thu May 12, 2022 8:00 pm

So......I finally got the bike together and running and all the lights work. However, now it backfires at idle. I spent several hours syncing the carbs and that should not be the issue. All of my vacuum tubes are connected. I read one thread that advised that my bike was running to lean. I backed off the idle screws and it seemed to take care of it. I then spent several hours inspecting the spark plugs and tuning the idle screws to get a proper burn. Then today it started backfiring again. Could it be the air fuel mixture? What should a Virago plug look like. I have read conflicting accounts on how to read plugs. I have used the golden brown read like in the attached photo.

I have also read that backfiring could be due to a poor exhaust connection at the header or a, a vacuum leak or a timing issue. Some guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.
vtbgw.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dwoodliffe on Thu May 12, 2022 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwoodliffe

Re: 1985 XV1000 Backfire at Idle (Alberta, Canada)

Post by dwoodliffe » Thu May 12, 2022 8:44 pm

A little more on my bike. I couldn't get the carbs right and sent them to Ken Samure in Calgary. He adjusted them and fixed several issues. The carbs should be in good shape.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1985 XV1000 Backfire at Idle (Alberta)

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri May 13, 2022 9:02 am

dwoodliffe wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:00 pm
So......I finally got the bike together and running and all the lights work. However, now it backfires at idle. I spent several hours syncing the carbs and that should not be the issue. All of my vacuum tubes are connected. I read one thread that advised that my bike was running to lean. I backed off the idle screws and it seemed to take care of it. I then spent several hours inspecting the spark plugs and tuning the idle screws to get a proper burn. Then today it started backfiring again. Could it be the air fuel mixture? What should a Virago plug look like. I have read conflicting accounts on how to read plugs. I have used the golden brown read like in the attached photo.

I have also read that backfiring could be due to a poor exhaust connection at the header or a, a vacuum leak or a timing issue. Some guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

vtbgw.jpg
=================================

Look at the total muffler system under the Bike. Make sure there are no holes in the plenum chamber or mufflers.
EXHAUST SYSTEM 1985 XV1000.png
When was the last time the valves were check? If they are out of specs. Adjust them and then synchronize the carburetors afterward.

Virago Hitachi Carburetors

app.php/virago-hitachi-carburetors?sid= ... 1a3ae0bb5a
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

dwoodliffe

Post by dwoodliffe » Fri May 13, 2022 11:35 am

Ok Joe - thanks. I haven't messed with the exhaust yet but thought I adjusted the valves last winter. I will have another look.

dwoodliffe

Post by dwoodliffe » Fri May 13, 2022 1:49 pm

The exhaust looks good. I wanted to take it apart and clean it up anyway. I found a wise guy selling used exhaust gaskets on Ebay and not cheap. Kind of funny.

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... &_osacat=0

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri May 13, 2022 2:20 pm

dwoodliffe wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:49 pm
The exhaust looks good. I wanted to take it apart and clean it up anyway. I found a wise guy selling used exhaust gaskets on Ebay and not cheap. Kind of funny.

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... &_osacat=0
====================

Motorcycle parts are not cheap by any means. Check and see what the Yamaha Dealer wants for the same parts.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.