1985 XV1000 fuel level adjustments keep flooding & Ign. Issues (Edmonton Alberta)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV1000? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

rsguetre
What Virago you Own: 1985 Virago XV1000

1985 XV1000 fuel level adjustments keep flooding & Ign. Issues (Edmonton Alberta)

Post by rsguetre » Thu May 12, 2022 1:20 am

After cleaning the carbs and installing the K&L repair kits, I set up the carbs on a vise under a funnel with some vinyl tubing and a tap to control the flow of fuel into it so that I could check the fuel levels. Well I have been at it all afternoon and still can't get the carbs to quit overflowing. Is it possible that I'm pouring the fuel in too fast? The floats are working fine and everything looks clean. It's as if the fuel rushes in too fast and pushes past the valve, a couple of times the level calmed down but then goes high again.
What am I missing?

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1985 XV1000 fuel level adjustments keep flooding & Ign. Issues (Edmonton Alberta)

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu May 12, 2022 6:45 am

rsguetre wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 1:20 am
After cleaning the carbs and installing the K&L repair kits, I set up the carbs on a vise under a funnel with some vinyl tubing and a tap to control the flow of fuel into it so that I could check the fuel levels. Well I have been at it all afternoon and still can't get the carbs to quit overflowing. Is it possible that I'm pouring the fuel in too fast? The floats are working fine and everything looks clean. It's as if the fuel rushes in too fast and pushes past the valve, a couple of times the level calmed down but then goes high again.
What am I missing?
==========================
rsguetre,

Cleaning and Rebuilding These Virago carburetors isn't a walk in the park. Especially, if this is your first rodeo.

"(Note: the word "carburetor" is a French word. In English it refers to the fuel mixture dispenser residing near a cylinder. However, you should be aware that the meaning of this word in the native French language is quite different. In French it means: "Don't mess with me".)"

Have you followed the information in your previous Topic post(s) below?

Since we can't see what you are doing makes it difficult to assist.

Floats don't seem to be working properly if the fuel is running out of the carburetor. Is this happening on both carburetors or just one of them? That you didn't say.

Have you watched Steve's Video? He has several videos on how to set these carburetors up. The one in the below topic is setting the float heights only. You need to watch all of his videos on setting these carburetors up, from beginning to end. Did you bench synchronize them?

When in YouTube search "Steve Diy's" that should bring up the following. There's 140 videos. Find the ones on virago carburetors open and bookmark them. Then go back and start reviewing them.

Click Image to Enlarge:
Once inside "Steve Diy's" click on "Videos" all his videos will be listed including the ones for these carburetors. Sift though and watch all the videos regarding these carburetors. This is the only thing I can suggest to you, for we can not see what you are doing.
Steves DIYs.png

In the below topic he mentions only once that the carbs have to have the same tilt angle as if they were in the bike on the engine when setting up the floats.

1985 XV1000 float height adjustments (Edmonton Alberta)

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2118
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

rsguetre

Re: 1985 XV1000 fuel level adjustments keep flooding & Ign. Issues (Edmonton Alberta)

Post by rsguetre » Sat May 14, 2022 8:03 pm

I’ve done all my homework and learned a ton from all the excellent teachers out there sharing their knowledge on YouTube. My bike new works on all its 2 cylinders. Backfires slightly and idle is at 2000rpm. So I guess the next job is to run it a little and check the plugs and sync the carbs.
My wife is quite excited and wants me to get her a bike now!

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun May 15, 2022 5:18 am

rsguetre wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 8:03 pm
I’ve done all my homework and learned a ton from all the excellent teachers out there sharing their knowledge on YouTube. My bike new works on all its 2 cylinders. Backfires slightly and idle is at 2000rpm. So I guess the next job is to run it a little and check the plugs and sync the carbs.
My wife is quite excited and wants me to get her a bike now!
=============

rsguetre,

Your RPM's at idle are a tad high.

950 to 1,050 RPM's is where she should be idling. I opted to keep mine at 1,000 even. That way she won't sound like she is running away on you. It's the sweet spot to keep the battery charging and sufficient RPM to keep the oil circulating through the engine. Also, keeps the engine cooler when stopped at a long traffic light. If caught by a train, I just turn the key off and wait. If you have loud pipes, the folks in cages next to you will thank you. :lol:
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

rsguetre

Post by rsguetre » Sun May 15, 2022 11:31 am

It was very easy to get my idle down, and as I was finishing my victory dance, the front cylinder decided to go cold on me.
I think I will check electrical now!

rsguetre

Post by rsguetre » Mon May 16, 2022 2:01 am

Changed the coils, bike really liked that. Time for a ride!

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon May 16, 2022 6:04 am

rsguetre wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 2:01 am
Changed the coils, bike really liked that. Time for a ride!
=============

rsguetre,

Let us know the outcome. If all is good again, we'll mark this topic Solved.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

rsguetre

Post by rsguetre » Mon May 16, 2022 6:23 pm

hmmm...

Nope... not closed yet, but the issue certainly isn't about flooding carbs anymore so I think the subject heading at the top of this forum topic I started should be changed to "running on one cylinder then two, then one, and backfiring"...

Last night was the end of over a month long adventure involving rebuilding carburettors, making sure float levels were right, synchronizing them on a bench, doing a valve adjustment, changing the fuel filter, changing the oil, and finally changing the coils. All with the help of some excellent advice from the admins here and YouTube instructors. So I took the bike out this morning and it was STILL running on only one cylinder UNTIL I opened it up on the highway. It seems that whenever I decelerated or changed gears, it would lurch a little and sound like cylinder 2 just quit. Then I would speed up and it would be fine again.
A few times, I'd stop and check how hot the front cylinder was getting and I noticed it was hot so I knew it was firing sometimes, but it sure wasn't as hot as the back (#1) cylinder. If I pulled the cap off the spark plug of #2, it had no effect. Pulling it off of #1 immediately killed it, and when I would try to start it with only the #2 cap on (leaving #1's cap off) it would probably pop only once and then nothing.
Does this sound like maybe an electrical issue further up from the coils? Like the TCI that I have read about on this forum? This is definitely beyond me.
Back to the books and videos...
Am I able to change the topic on this forum post without causing a lot of confusion?

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed May 18, 2022 10:26 am

rsguetre,

Read this article regarding the ignition system. Especially the part, on how you can damage coils.

Virago Ignition Systems

app.php/virago-ignition-systems?sid=70a ... 1a3ae0bb5a
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL: