1985 Virago 1000 carburetors leaking (Iowa)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV1000? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

farmermark
What Virago you Own:

1985 Virago 1000 carburetors leaking (Iowa)

Post by farmermark » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:10 pm

I started the Virago 1000 this spring and 3 quarts of the fuel ended up in the oil. So found out the carburetor lea like a sieve. So I plan on purchasing new carburetor kits - but what I really need is the float setting in the carburetors. Would there be a better manual than the Clymer manual - I currently have. I feel like I set the fuel level too high the last time I overhauled the carburetors 3 years ago.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1985 Virago 1000 carburetors leaking (Iowa)

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:10 am

farmermark wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:10 pm
I started the Virago 1000 this spring and 3 quarts of the fuel ended up in the oil. So found out the carburetor lea like a sieve. So I plan on purchasing new carburetor kits - but what I really need is the float setting in the carburetors. Would there be a better manual than the Clymer manual - I currently have. I feel like I set the fuel level too high the last time I overhauled the carburetors 3 years ago.
Mark,

We do have some manuals that you may download in the left side panel.

XV1000 and XV1100's are notorious for having fuel seeping through the carburetors and into the oil sump. As you are most likely aware, these bikes do not have petcocks to turn off the fuel. The only means to stop the fuel from flowing are the Floats needle and seats in each carburetor.

Even after you rebuild the carburetors and replace the needle and seats there is no real guarantee that that will correct the problem. Downward gravity pressure of the fuel can still push the needle and seats open and allow fuel to flow from the carburetor(s) into the cylinder(s) and seep past the piston rings and run down the cylinder wall(s) and drip into the oil sump.

However, we do have a D.I.Y. fix that works.

DIY FUEL SHUT OFF VALVE - 1000 / 1100's

https://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=337

Important to remember:
When you store an XV1000 and/or XV1100's always check the oil sight glass when putting her to bed for her winter months nap and/or for any long period storage. Never start the bike up in the spring until you look at the sight glass again to see the oil level. If the sight glass is completely full after winter or other long storage . . . chances are pretty good that the oil sump has fuel mixed in the oil. Not knowing that this occurred and starting the engine may destroy it. I had a friend destroy an XV1100 that way. When he woke her up that spring and decided to take a quick first ride for the season and didn't check the oil, turned out to be a bad idea.

Prior to starting any motorcycle after a long storage always a good idea to check the oil first, to be on the safe side. Virago's aren't the only motorcycles plagued with this happening.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location.
It will aid us in assisting you!

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1985 Virago 1000 carburetors leaking (Iowa)

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed May 05, 2021 9:13 am

Mark,

For float level specs click on this link below and then scroll to the very bottom:

A Quick Reference to Virago Specifications

https://www.viragohelp.com/virago-specifications/

Additional information regarding float settings:

float adjustment [CLOSED]

https://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=368
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location.
It will aid us in assisting you!