1984 XV1000 Power loss (Lenawee County Michigan) (On Hold, Pending Reply)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV1000? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Skrip

Re: 1984 XV1000 Power loss (Lenawee County Michigan)

Post by Skrip » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:51 pm

Thank you for the idea. Took a fuel sample and all looked good. Im thinking its a fuel problem though. After much thought I believe I have a restriction where fuel goes into carb. Something is causing my bowls to not fill fast enough (i think). I will remove the carbs and check behind float valves for debris. Probably a long shot but it makes sense.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:19 am

Skrip wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:51 pm
Thank you for the idea. Took a fuel sample and all looked good. Im thinking its a fuel problem though. After much thought I believe I have a restriction where fuel goes into carb. Something is causing my bowls to not fill fast enough (i think). I will remove the carbs and check behind float valves for debris. Probably a long shot but it makes sense.
Skrip,
The fuel sample that you took was it taken from the bottom sub tank. Water is heavier than gasoline and settles in the lowest part of the fuel system. You would need to take a sample of fuel from the inlet line that goes to the fuel pump. You will need to clamp the hose up stream of the pump to get the hose off the fuel pump and not have fuel run out of the hose.

Or place a piece of clear tubing on the carburetor drain ports and drain the fuel from the carburetor bowls. Turn on the ignition key and the fuel pump will pump more fuel to the carburetors. Let the fuel sit in the jars for awhile and see if water separates from the fuel and sits on the bottom of the jars.

Taking fuel from the main upper tank. I don't think would grab or catch any tainted fuel if any.

The fuel filter will need to be changed if you do find water in the fuel. It is hard to see inside the filter, due to its non-transparent design. It too may have water residing in it as well. Removal and pouring out its contents would also provide a means to see if water is in the fuel. When replacing the fuel filter. You don't have to replace it with an OEM filter. Get one from an auto parts store you can see in to. Then you could remove the inspection cover and see if water was in it.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location.
It will aid us in assisting you!

Skrip

Post by Skrip » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:11 pm

Fuel sample was taken from main tank. I looked at the sample again this morning on my way out the door, still no separation. Fingers crossed i see some kind of blockage when i pull carbs this afternoon.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:55 pm

Skrip wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:11 pm
Fuel sample was taken from main tank. I looked at the sample again this morning on my way out the door, still no separation. Fingers crossed i see some kind of blockage when i pull carbs this afternoon.
Fuel from the main tank is not going to cut it in finding water in the fuel.

Like I said earlier, water is heavier than fuel and will find its way down to the lower extremities of the fuel system.

Check the fuel down there as mentioned in my above post.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location.
It will aid us in assisting you!